Is there a retro-fit siphon for condensate pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So many people with older condensing boilers are having trouble with freezing condensate pipes. I can't understand how the industry failed so completely to anticipate this problem!

Newer boilers hold the condensate and release it in a rush to avoid the drip drip that freezes. Isn't there a retro-fit siphonic trap that people can fit just under the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Great idea. i cant see one. You could also incorporate a trap into it.

Surely couldnt be hard to make?

I guess we will see you on dragons den next year..... :LOL:

Yup, but its bloody expensive and requires electric, whereas you should be able to manufacture one for next to nout.

A

Sponsored Links
Whilst bulky, I thought maybe a F&E tank with auto syphon for a urinal would do the job. Just finding somewhere to put it! :confused:

....Or a toilet cistern fitted with an auto syphon - A little less industrial looking, and designed to be hung on the wall...

Just to burst this bubble, it doesnt seem to matter how the trap discharges, it still freezes.

Top tip to stop your condensate freezing.

Just run the boiler at 82 degC flow and 71 degC return and voila, no condensate.

:LOL:

What do they do on the Continent? My Swedish brother-in-law couldn't believe that we ran soil pipes outside, let alone anything smaller.

Whilst bulky, I thought maybe a F&E tank with auto syphon for a urinal would do the job. Just finding somewhere to put it! :confused:
If it's a 10 litre tank, the owners can think of saving 20p from condensing every time it empties. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back