Is there any reliable wireless door chime?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several years ago, I discarded my bell transformer with associated wiring and went for a wireless door chime, the bell unit itself being plugged into the mains. I've had no end of trouble since! At random intervals, say every week, the plug-in unit decides to stop working. However if I flick the on-off switch on the socket, the chime comes back to life. (No, there's no problem with the socket, I've used different mains sockets within range of the doorpush.)

It's a Volex. I replaced it last year and the old problem has arisen again. So it's a brand I shall not use again. My question is, is there a better one?

Sponsored Links
The frequency used is shared and the general public is the secondary user. Radio hams are the primary user and from memory they can use 400 watts of power against the milliwatts used with the door bell. Near every one used same frequency so the answer has to be no.

I have tried to find the access tone and frequency of my own door bells and failed although only using 5 watts. I use one door push to three Lidi battery operated units so it rings in living room, landing, and kitchen although batteries do go flat [ulr=[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34902387][/URL] possibly because of where I was getting them [/url] they don't all go flat together. Also had one door push go faulty, but I have two spares so that was a quick fix. The idea of tying up a socket for the door bell did not seem a good idea.

So yes I use wireless, but I am fully aware my radio activities may cause a malfunction.

As Eric has indicated, by their nature, wireless devices suffer from interference. You may have noticed the effect of this when using WI-FI data on your smart phone.
Some are better than others, but there are no guarantees.

I have a one of these and have had no problems, but it will depend on your environment.

If you want a totally reliable door bell, then dont use a wireless one.

Sponsored Links
Is there any reliable wireless...
No.

Not for anything.

Unless you have no choice, don't use it for anything.

No equipment that operates on a licence exempt frequency can be considered as reliable.

There are reliable wireless communication systems but these use frequencies allocated to the user who then pays a licence fee for the use of that channel. The frequency allocated is unlikely to be allocated to any other user in the near vicinity so it is effectively a clear channel.

A friend of mine bought a wireless doorbell from Aldi and he had the same problems would work for a day or two then stop and I suspected what Eric said was the problem as there is a Ham just up the road.
So I said he has two options either take it back for a refund or switch it off and on very morning or even a few time a times a day so he chose the second option.

Well for me that would be to much faff hardwired doorbells are the best in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back