Is there something dodgy about this copper tube?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy some 22mm copper pipe and came across this.
http://www.plumbplanet.com/product/508261

The price sounds too good to be true so there must be some catch? Also, how are they going to deliver a single 6M length of pipe??

They also have this
http://www.plumbplanet.com/product/508201
which is twice as expensive (since only 3M).

Do people think these are both regular copper pipe that I could use for my diy jobs at home?

Note, I have nothing whatsoever to do with this site except that I just came across it via a google search.

Sponsored Links
They are both plumb center product codes. Plumb planet is yet another virtual supplier holding no stock.

have to ask. why the hell would you want to wait in for a delivery on a single piece of copper tube. things cant be that bad were people penny pinch to that extent.

Nowt wrong with that, Yorkex complies with EN1057 and has a 25-year warranty against failure due to manufacturing defects. Great price too, quite tempted to buy some and see how much the local scrappy will give me for it!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies but I still don't understand why one copper pipe is twice the price of the other?

Yorkex is Yorkshire Copper Tube's brand name for their BS2871 Part 1 Table X (EN 1057 R250) copper tube.

First off, 12 quid including VAT - i.e. about 2 quid per metre - is waaaaaayyyyyyy too cheap. We as distributors pay more than that, so it's being used as a loss-leader. Or - who uses 6 metre lengths nowadays? It has probably been gathering dust in a warehouse for months/years and they want rid. OR, someone's bopped a drollock with the price. That's my preffered option.
Second, it says manufacturer Pegler Yorkshire. Bol locks, Pegler Yorkshire Ltd is foxtrot alpha to do with Yorkshire Copper Tube. PY is part of Aalbert Industries, YCT is part of the KME Group.
Thirdly, WTF is "22mm degree copper tube"? If it means degreased (note the code; XDG226 - not rocket science) it is way way WAAAAAYYYYYYY too cheap.

Their normal Yorkex 22mm table X in 6 metre lengths is even (slightly) cheaper at just under 2 quid per metre: http://www.plumbplanet.com/product/508301
Their "Wolsley Brand" copper tube (Centre brand) says "Streamline" in the description. Streamline is Mueller Europe, better known in the UK as Wednesbury Tube - so much for "Wolsley Brand"!. That is the same price as their normal Yorkex.
Their 3 metre lengths are more realistically priced, so as I said, someone's bopped a drollock pricing up the 6 metre lengths.
Fill your boots before they notice.

Their fittings prices are used to scrape back some profit: 15mm Centre Brand compression elbow; £9.07 each?!?!. Center brand 15mm end-feed straight coupling, £6.13 each?!?! Now that's SOME profit!!

Charnwood, you are well informed. Good reply

Could well be scam site too good to be true make a lot of money straight away never to be heard of again

According to whois.com:

[code:1]domain: PLUMBPLANET.COM
owner-c: AI-761993
admin-c: AI-761993
tech-c: AI-300624
bill-c: AI-300624
nserver: ns1.lcn.com 195.82.107.156
nserver: ns0.lcn.com 94.126.40.3
created: 2008-10-21 13:19:07
expires: 2012-10-21 13:19:07
changed: 2011-05-03 13:51:24

contact-handle: AI-761993
organisation: PlumbPlanet.com
address: Fairwinds
address: St Breock
address: Wadebridge
address: PL27 7HS
address: GB
phone: +44.1208813195
email:

contact-handle: AI-300624
address: Units H, J, K
address: Gateway 1000
address: Whittle Way
address: Stevenage
address: England
address: SG1 2FP
address: GB
phone: +44.1438342490
fax: +44.1438300137[/code:1]

Looks OK to me.

10 lengths from PC has a different product code, as they sell this cheaper per bundle.

10 lengths from PC has a different product code, as they sell this cheaper per bundle.

If they sell loads of Yorkshire copper, then they will be getting a good sized rebate direct from Yorkshire each month.

I used to when I ran an online plumbing supply company, as with most other products.

You can't compete these days paying standard trade prices from a merchant.

Cat out of bag time, and I don't do this often.
We are currently - as a distributor - paying roughly £1.44 for 15mm and £2.88 for 22mm table X copper per metre. That's from Lawton Tube, Yorkshire and Wednesbury. No feasible rebate would allow them to sell 6 metres at those prices - profitably. Look at their 3 metre length prices. They are the same as the 6 metre prices. Someone's bopped a drollock by pricing the 6s as 3s.Simples!!

Now someone is REALLY having a laugh!!
View media item 41367
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

And if you read there terms conditions they will cancel entire order if they have made a mistake with prices.

And if you read there terms conditions....
I didn't go that far.

Had another look at the 'degree' tube. Each length has a red cap. That IS degreased tube. Each individual length, according to the BS for degreased tube, has to be capped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back