Is there such a thing as an extra deep celing rose?

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, this stuff should not be in there. There should be no need for it. But I think we are def gonna need a photo in order to advise.

Martin

You may have noticed that modern ceiling roses are slimmer and flatter than the older types, which were often very deep in 1960's or older properties, The older ceiling rose was a really deep bakelite dome shape, yet it only had a piece of twin cored 3/029 in it - not even an earth connection in those days! (Wiring was done by junction boxes back then).

You mean this stuff?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67781...onnectors-Blocks/CED-15A-Terminal-Blocks-Pk10

It does, I said "Terminal Block" on my first post, meaning this? Maybe I have crossed wires. Not literally of course ;)

Are you saying that there is no ceiling rose terminals inside the ceiling rose cover just a terminal block - or are you saying that both are there and that is why the ceiling rose cover wont close?

If the answer is both then it should be a relatively simple job to swop the terminal block wiring to the ceiling rose terminals provided we can quickly identify the loop and the switch wires. - When you take the photo make sure you photograph the terminal block so that we can see both sides of the block - i.e. see which conductors come in and out of the terminals.
It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to sort it.

Sponsored Links
If there's a connector block in there it suggests someone cut the original wiring short and there's nothing to drag down from the ceiling. If that's the case the best answer would be to get above the ceiling, if possible, extend the wiring with crimps or a junction box (depedning whether it's a floorspace or roofspace) and then provide enough wire in the rose for proper termination.

PJ

Bearing in mind that any connection must be in an enclosure, crimps or choc blocks simply bare or taped and shoved in the ceiling is not acceptable

A connector block in a ceiling rose does not necessarily mean some wires have been extended though.

Possibly a ceiling rose has been fitted to replace a light fitting, and the loop or earth has been left in it's original connector block.

Or possibly the rose has been used to accomodate an unusual joint, like a switch wire for another light; or two way switching.

Photos of inside the rose would be useful.

Usually a skilled electrician can fit a lot of wires and a few connectors in a rose. It requires experience/practice that's all.

I came across this thread as I have a need for an extra deep ceiling rose for a slightly different purpose. I want to fit some radio / remote controlled switches for my lights (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0157MF2ZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The receiver unit is 49mm diameter by 23mm deep. I could fit this into the light switch pattress box, but it needs a neutral wire, so I have to fit it in the ceiling rose instead. It does not quite fit in a standard ceiling rose.

Where there is a weighty lamp I have used Clik ceiling roses
ASPCR2000.JPG
which do have rather a large base, in the main that is a disadvantage as it can look ugly being so big. However being able to wire the light on the floor then simply lift it and slide the plug in makes it so much easier when the lamp is heavy.

Also with multi-lights in a room it allows you to work on one lamp without switching off the others.

...Please start a new thread, rather than dig up old ones from over 5 years ago.

My apology, I'm new to this forum and did not know the etiquette. I will start a new thread with this question. Feel free to delete these recent posts on this thread if you have the ability to do so.

A warm welcome :rolleyes:…….. please stick with it, you may learn something ! other than how to type big in red :LOL:

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back