Is there such a thing as

Wonder if you'll get away with just swopping the 100mA RCD for a 30mA RCD??
The 100mA wont have been installed for protection on a TT system as everything to the left of it wont have been protected.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Sponsored Links
it is probably seized. If you buy a new part you will see how it fits in. An MCB will be a lot cheaper than an RCBO. I don't know if they can be lubricated safely. If it was me I would probably try to lever it out. You must put pressure on the busbar to resist your pull or it might break out of the CU. The busbar is thickish copper with a plastic jacket and fairly rigid. You can take the whole assembly out but I don't think you can safely do with with incoming power connected.

I can't rember if your model has a clip to a DIN-rail as well. I think there is a tag at the bottom towards the back of the MCB to release a clip with a small screwdriver.
http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!Bb4QvpgBmk~$(KGrHqMH-CMEqt2V40FVBKyHzL6C5Q~~_12.JPG

Other brands, and the previous model of Starbreaker, fasten the MCBs to the busbar with screws so you can undo them and release the clip. This is easier but will not fit your CU.

It does not sound like a DIY job, I think you will have to save up for a pro.

• Thanks
Yes each of the MCB's does have a black tab like bit on its base at the back which is covering the connection point to the busbar.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Ban all sheds as i said it was done before my time so do you think it was a shoddy job or set up like this for some other reason.

Sponsored Links
There can have been no "reason" for doing it like that - it's just shoddy work done by someone ignorant and incompetent.

Ban All sheds. Was there a requirement in the 16th edition, (is this what was in place say 9 years ago), for electric showers to be on a 30ma RCD.

If not why would whoever it was that did this bother to put a RCD in at all. Wouldnt it have been cheaper just to stick a rack of MCBs in or maybe even a 30ma RCD as it would have been cheaper than a 100ma.

I am genuinely interested in understanding why the 100ma RCD is there.

The 16th edn IEE regs didn't require an RCD for a shower. Of course, if the manufacturer specified one then this over-rules the IEE regs and one had to be installed.
In anycase, a 100mA RCD does not provide any supplementary protection against direct contact, only 30mA or below and not Type S devices can be used for that.
The only time I can think of in domestics that 100mA TD RCDs were used is where there is a 30mA normal type device downstream so they will discriminate.

• Thanks
Ban All sheds. Was there a requirement in the 16th edition, (is this what was in place say 9 years ago), for electric showers to be on a 30ma RCD.
No.

But then there isn't one in the 17th either.

If not why would whoever it was that did this bother to put a RCD in at all.
Ignorance and incompetence?

Wouldnt it have been cheaper just to stick a rack of MCBs in or maybe even a 30ma RCD as it would have been cheaper than a 100ma.
Yup.

I am genuinely interested in understanding why the 100ma RCD is there.
Ignorance and incompetence?

I'll have to disagree with your comment on not having to use a 30mA RCD to comply with the 17th edn regs for bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back