Is this a cowboy job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am no electrician but I got one in to add 2 new sockets and move a switch and some things dont seem to quite add up after I investigated the work the next day...

Added first socket as a spur of a original one, and then extended this to another spur
No insulation on the earth cable inside sockets
Ran wires horizontal between sockets, but round alcove/corner
Extended a wire inside socket with choc-bloc

Are these things acceptable or do they go against regulations? Should the electrician left some sort of certificate to certify the work or the fact they cried it out enough?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it, how did you find them, did they list qualifications?

Do you know if the circuit they extended was a ring or radial? Did they add a FCU or just spur straight to the 1st extra socket?

At least a minor works certificate.
Should be sleeving on earth wires.

The spur from spur depends what feeds it. If feed with a 25A or less then maybe OK but if more than 25A then unlikely it can comply.

I am being careful here as he could be extending a radial circuit with 4mm cable or better and could be correct.

However likely he's just a cowboy and not a real electrician.

Not 100% but I think its a ring circuit as every socket in the flat seems to have incoming/outgoing wires.
Only a 1 bed flat with original 5 single sockets on the circuit but has a 35A fuse at the rcd (if thats the right term)

Apparently he is part-p certified but I didnt actually see the certificate. Am I right to ask him for a minor works certificate - does he have to provide me with that by law?

Sponsored Links
Cables are chased into the walls (pretty shallow).
For the sockets all cables run horizontal between outlets, but does go round a alcove and 2 corners so not sure this was still considered a safe zone?

For the switch the wire goes horizontal from the old switch...but thats no longer their. My thoughts were to put a blank faceplate on to show where the wire comes from but he insisted this was not needed (no sign of old switch on wall anymore as its been plastered in) so cable effectively runs horizontally for a meter and then straight up

He does sound like a cowboy however I have jumped to conclusions before so am a little wary.

As to safe zones horizontal or vertical but not both however not sure on this but think with Ali-tube cable you don't need to follow the safe zones?

However I have fallen fowl of horizontal cables myself I had expected the cables from a switch to go up into the ceiling but in fact they went horizontal and I sawed through them with a couple of hack saw blades while making a channel for the water supply to fridge.

Now as to law with kitchen, outside and bathroom he has to provide paperwork but for other work although the regulations say he must provide paperwork the regulations are not law.

However if he is a scheme member which you say he claims to be then he is obliged to follow the rules laid down by the scheme provider which I am sure says they must follow BS7671 (Wiring Regs) so he does not really have an option he must provide you with the paperwork.

However it would not be the LABC you would contact but his scheme provider. For an electrician to call himself Part P registered so he can issue a completion certificate (although likely not required in your case) he needs to be a member of a scheme. To say you are a member if you are not, has resulted in successful prosecutions. If he had not said he was a scheme member then it would be hard to get redress you need to prove the work is dangerous.

So your next move is find out who is his scheme provider. Tell them your not satisfied and likely they will send some one to check.

Cables are chased into the walls (pretty shallow).

not an issue

For the sockets all cables run horizontal between outlets, but does go round a alcove and 2 corners so not sure this was still considered a safe zone?

actually yes

For the switch the wire goes horizontal
so its ok check your osg

from the old switch...but thats no longer their. My thoughts were to put a blank faceplate on to show where the wire comes from but he insisted this was not needed (no sign of old switch on wall anymore as its been plastered in) so cable effectively runs horizontally for a meter and then straight up

no sleeving is poor workmanship and a breach of 7671, which is not stat however part p scams usually require compliance with 7671 as one of their rules

part p scams usually require compliance with 7671 as one of their rules
Compliance to BS 7671 is not voluntary. Running cables around corners to >150mm from that corner is potentially a breach, as is extending unprotected cables horizontally from switch positions.

It sounds like the OP would have been better doing the works himself, however we need some photos.

I wish I had done the work myself now but I was really pushed for time and didnt fancy chasing it all with a bolster. Anoying as I have done everything else in the house myself! Here is some pics..let me know what you think.

ao6lit.jpg

wc04k9.jpg

2cpclky.jpg

Ouch. That looks rough.

The light switch cables aren't really where you'd expect them to be (and not in safe zones)

The socket circuit extension meanders along the walls, again not really where you'd expect it to be, and not in safe zones in the corners.

I'd have found out where the relevant circuits run and have done vertical runs either up to the ceiling or down to the floor. Horizontal runs are okay when they're short (eg as between sockets in kitchens, relatively close together) but those horizontal runs in the pics don't sit right with me at all.

That chock block looks undersized for a 32A RFC (assuming that's what the circuit is.) A crimp or a wago would be better.

Is it a solid floor? If not why weren't the sockets dropped down rather than all that chasing?

What's he used as filler? Royal icing? Did you know that you were planning to have all the walls skimmed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back