Is this a drain manhole and how do I open it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to build an extension using part of the garage. I'm checking to see if there is any shared pipework to take into consideration and have found what I think is a recessed man hole cover in the garage. Is it for drainage and how do I open it ? thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-1_16-17-19.jpeg
    upload_2022-3-1_16-17-19.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
Man hole and the concrete slab lifts up if you put something under the edge it will lift , guess this is in your back garden and chances are it’s a shallow manhole joined to other properties?
Best wishes
Jake

I normally use a long screwdriver in the hole and an off cut of timber on the floor next to it to enable me to lift it enough to get my fingers in.

Sometimes, they are screwed down with slotted screws

Just to add on once up I’d swop it for a metal one lol

Sponsored Links
Looks like you may need a couple of J shaped T keys to lift, there are a variety of mechanical lifting aids if its too stuck.It will already be steel cover [infilled with cement].

Hugh think it’s In his garage .. many times have I had to remove these as someone built it in a conservatory without permission which build over agreements don’t really exist now just build next to lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back