IS THIS A FAIR PRICE PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a fair price (Warmfront : Newcastle upon Tyne area)

Existing system (approx 25 years old) in converted bungalow

Living room : Baxi back boiler and fire. Dial type programmer nearby
Elderly father’s bedroom (next door) hot water storage tank in storage cupboard, with pipes to & from the boiler (about 2 metres away horizontally at most)
Upstairs in loft space, now converted to room : cold water tank, next to chimney breast, almost directly above hot tank below and nearly above boiler, behind sliding doors

New quote as follows

Disconnect old fire and boiler, but leave in place
Supply and fit Baxi Solo 18HE boiler near existing cold tank in loft space, with vertical flue through roof (tiled) I assume make good as well to disturbed tiles
12m of 22mm pipework
6m of 15mm pipework
Power flush for the system
New condensate pump, no model name available
Convert to a fully pumped system
Digital programmer
All electrical works
All other fixtures & fittings

No TRV’s being fitted
Existing hot tank remaining in place

Total cost £3100 (including VAT, although they say some is only rated at 5%)

MANY THANKS !!

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit steep esp if they are not removing the exiting fire/back boiler.

Pete

Have you already got TRV's fitted? If not they must be fitted to conform to Part L regs.

Without seeing the job, I can't understand why you need a condensate pump when the boiler is going in the loft :confused:

How much have you got to pay on top of the warmfront grant?

Sponsored Links
Hi Gas4You

No, my father hasn't got TRV's at present

His contribution is given as £480

He had cavity insulation fitted several years ago and a few ligt bulbs, for which they say the grant used was £498.

Jusdging by the replies so far, this just goes to show what a lot of people have said on various forums, the Warmfront scheme is a sham.

Ok you can say, he'll get a boiler done for £480, but this money is coming from the Govt and doesn't seem to be going as far as it should.

thanks anyway for all the replies

well matey you sounded good

Reasonable and informed IMHO

well done

and you stuck it to warmfront (the ****kers)

YAy for you

:)

Thankyou, Corgiman!

I said more about Warmfront, but like all interviews, much of it was edited out.

Tim Woolas, the Environment Minister, said that the Eaga's own companies should only be used as a last resort to install Warmfront £2700 Grant heating systems.

Last year Eaga owned installation companies such as Iguana carried out nearly £30Million turnover on Warmfront. The whole set of Eaga's various heating companies are reliant on receiving the Government work, which Eaga were meant to impartially allocate.

I think it is a criminal misuse of the taxpayers money, and as the programme showed, often ends up in the most disadvantaged actually paying more.

I would describe EAGA plc as a gamekeeper turned poacher.

Their hands should be removed from the till urgently. It is completely wrong that the independent company responsible of the allocation of over £100M of government grants should be allowed to start off their own heating contractors and then give the work to themselves.

They have set up their own insulation installation subsidiaries to take advantage of that too; because they control the Governments purse for insulation grants.

You can request how much work they skim off from the Government under the Freedom of Information Act. A search of Companies House will detail all the Eaga owned companies.

I strongly suggest that anyone receiving a Warmfront grant asks to be assessed by one of the very few companies not owned by EAGA plc.[/b]

Simon, you are my hero!
I've been banging on about Warmfront since I had the experience of working for Iguana and realised the massive fraud that is going on. It is not just the money either, the quality of the majority is shocking - ID's on brand new installs are not uncommon.
When asked my 'lead installer' did not know the location of the inlet test nipple on an Ideal isar :eek: .

If the Government limited EAGA plc to a much lower percentage then this would force them to open up the number of installers.

This would increase competition, lower waiting times and increase value for money.

I suggest that if he really wanted EAGA to be the 'last resort' (Minister Tim Woolas' words, not mine) he should restrict them to 3% rather than the 30% they currently enjoy.

And any EAGA installations should be inspected by companies outside the EAGA plc group. At the moment they conveniently fulfill both roles!

I had the experience of working for Iguana and realised the massive fraud that is going on. It is not just the money either, the quality of the majority is shocking - ID's on brand new installs are not uncommon.
When asked my 'lead installer' did not know the location of the inlet test nipple on an Ideal isar :eek: .

It gets even worse!

I went to an installation which had been done by an Iguana employee working on the side and using their CORGI number! The contact man in charge of Iguana was not really at all interested!

The installation had been made without the seal in the flue which made it Immediately Dangerous and cost the Owner £84 !

Tony

I don't think you can blame Iguana for their employees doing private jobs.

They are too busy banking £30M every year from people with disabilities or very low incomes.

Looking at it purely from an installers viewpoint.
There's a plumbcenter distribution centre up the road from me, every morning the car park is chokka with iguana vans loading up. These are all doing jobs which are subsidised £2,700 to the customer. I have no access to this grantwork, how is that fair competition?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back