Is this a fair quote?

Sponsored Links
I had to replace a plastic plastic block on a three year old Worcester boiler recently.

Plastic is not what it used to be!

Some didn't come with lids so wouldn't comply.

White spirit is a bit naughty as you shouldn't use organic material as a cover.

If I do that to help some old dear then I put a sheet of plastic under the plywood.

If you don't it all rots within a few months!

To Ian: it has no lid, and the water is contaminated. So the plumber recommended getting a new one.

Sponsored Links
I had to replace a plastic plastic block on a three year old Worcester boiler recently.

Plastic is not what it used to be!

I think there is a vast difference between a hydro block inside a boiler and a plastic tank that simply contains water, take on the point about the lid not conforming though cheers for that

White spirit is a bit naughty as you shouldn't use organic material as a cover.

Yes, fair comment. I'm sure with some ingenuity, a lid could be made from another, less degradeable material.

Though there are plenty of storage tanks in these parts with timber sheet lids. Went to one last week with thin hardboard that was sagging into the water. Customer's departed husband was the culprit, approx 30 years before I got there.

Tony- the tank alone is £130 plus any new pipe work and fittings, so lets say £200 for materials. Also it might need a new timber base at £50 for ply and timber.

Andy

I was using the Toolstation part number 91853 113 litre plastic tank complete with lid and bylaw compliance kit. Price £99.85

OK it is not £100 ! Its slightly less!

Tony

Item number 91853 is for a 25 gallon tank.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...nk Blue Water Storage Tank/d230/sd3234/p91853

50 gallon:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/cold-water-tank-50gal-1190-x-610-x-500mm/10134

Andy

That will save the OP a lot of money compared to the crazy quote for a new tank. Make sure the tank is insulated as well.

That will save the OP a lot of money compared to the crazy quote for a new tank. Make sure the tank is insulated as well.
[/i]

Not if the existing CWS is round, it won't.

Seriously, lids have to made by the same folk as the CWS, even rectangular ones have different profiles. The ad. will be intended to sell the lid AND the tank.

I haven't had a look but £250 + vat for a CWS, Tank connector, ball valve and float seems a tad expensive. And why does it need 2 men? There are 2 man teams fitting a full heating system in one day. (Although you won't see me trying) And some aren't charging much more than this CWS quote.

But it is up to the tradesman what he charges. As Dan says, a 2nd quote may be called for.

Tanks are about £100 and perhaps new valves and connections about £20.

To fit one person about 3-5 hours usually. Perhaps about £180 labour.

I mean fitting properly and a proper marine ply base may be needed which would be another £30.

Tony

Nice one, again , Tony. It IS NOT fair to suggest pricing like this - you do it all the time. It gives the Op and observers a false sense of value, and makes guys charging a proper rate look expensive.

Labour 5 hours at £180 = £30 per hour, ignoring time spent on initial visit. IN LONDON.

Are you going to use all the same fittings in your £100 CWS?

Tanks are about £100 and perhaps new valves and connections about £20.

To fit one person about 3-5 hours usually. Perhaps about £180 labour.

I mean fitting properly and a proper marine ply base may be needed which would be another £30.

Tony

Nice one, again , Tony. It IS NOT fair to suggest pricing like this - you do it all the time. It gives the Op and observers a false sense of value, and makes guys charging a proper rate look expensive.

Labour 5 hours at £180 = £30 per hour, ignoring time spent on initial visit. IN LONDON.

Are you going to use all the same fittings in your £100 CWS?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back