Is this a fuse I see before me or what?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Okay guys, I'm fitting a toroidal transformer for 12V wire track lighting.

However I noticed that on the side of the unit, there is a gap in the metal cover with some 'slots' for fuses.

Are the fuses already inside this unit, or do I need to buy some fuses and put them in the slots?

Any ideas? I'm stuck... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Is this second hand? It certainly looks as though they are missing.

They are blade fuses - the type used on cars (the larger ones).

Yes, second hand. They cost £170 new and I got it for £40.

Blade fuses? I think you're right. Will get them now. Thanks.

You need to get the right size. If you are lucky there will be a sticker or label on the product telling you what size to buy.

The other hitch may be that the reason the fuses are missing are because the originals have blown because the transformer is faulty.

Sponsored Links
I just dread to think what the other wiring will be like :eek:
(Remember the hob?)

Don't bother to install that transformer 'til you've tested it 'on the bench'. Those output fuses might be missing for a good reason.....

If it does test ok, you might still have a problem if the circuit has a standard 'B' type MCB.

Lucia.

If it were mine, I'd swap that big toroidal for an electronic transformer.

The other hitch may be that the reason the fuses are missing are because the originals have blown because the transformer is faulty.
I wonder what caused the signs of overheating here:

?

I just dread to think what the other wiring will be like :eek:
(Remember the hob?)
Telephone wire, probably. Well, it's low voltage, isn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back