Is this a good job?

the windows might have been mismeasured due to the amount of foam
The amount of foam isn't relevant, it's the look from outside. The window externally looks fine, it's just that it could've been a tad wider, but that is being fussy.

Internally it's a dogs dinner, both windowboard and architraves are wrong.

The biggest mistake of the whole job is poor communication at the beginning. The fitter should have talked through the problems and the options.

You should hold back some money so you can redo the internal trims, but you can't hold back loads as you do have windows and the fitting

Sponsored Links
You should hold back some money so you can redo the internal trims, but you can't hold back loads as you do have windows and the fitting

Agree. Note that I've bought and paid for the windows and all materials through the builders merchant, so the discussion is around the labour-only fitting charge.

Welcome further views too.

Agree. Note that I've bought and paid for the windows and all materials through the builders merchant, so the discussion is around the labour-only fitting charge.

Welcome further views too.

I'd be tempted to knock off the cost of the window boards, architraves and half a day for fitting them.

I can't quite see if the windows are timber or upvc.

In your first post you said

along with architraves and window boards I also supplied

Perhaps this is part of the problem, because it looks like wider archs would have been better, so the fitters did the best they could with what they had.

I'm not sure they have been "mismeasured". I think they have been measured to what was known to be achievable. To fit them as sash windows would have originally been fitted into a reveal behind the outer brick relies on knowing that the reveal is still there. Anything could have happened in the past, including the reveals being bricked up, so although a sash window would ideally be fitted with less of the outer lining showing, I think this is a realistic outcome when replacing an old uPVC with a sash window.

You have been slightly let down by the fitter who didn't discuss the internal fit-out with you, and I would try and play on their goodwill to tidy it up. Personally, I think I would be pragmatic, and ask the window company to come back after you have re-lined the wall and fit new architrave and cill boards. If they play hard to get, I would ask them if they would like a photo of the work so far linked on an online review.

If there are 4 windows, it's a days work to tidy it all up. It's not worth getting too upset about, and it's all sortable.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure they have been "mismeasured". I think they have been measured to what was known to be achievable.
I think the windows should have been made wider -looking at the external photo, I can see that the outer facings of the box sash on the sides is about 50mm -traditionally it is usual to see about 25mm -30mm. Its clear there is room between the internal skin to have made them wider.

I agree the architrave is wrong width. Its a bit odd the fitter got the customer to buy, most would supply and fit everything.

Its also unusual to order windows from a builders merchant.

Look fine. Use some trim to tidy up inside of the windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back