Is this acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BE39AD85-10AF-41C0-9053-C3BBFC8CFC5C.jpeg
Had two wallpapers papered today and the pattern doesn’t match.

I’m not happy with it but decorator says patterned paper doesn’t join round a corner. ?

Opinions please.

Ok

Sponsored Links
Wallpapering is somthing Ive never done but Im thinking it would be difficult if the corners weren't absolutely plumb on both walls.

Unless you wrapped it round the corner, it would be impossible to match that pattern and if you did wrap it round the corner it would probably pull away from the corner when it dried. Possibly could have papered it so that the 'starbursts' lined up though - probably more noticeable at the ceiling line.

Sponsored Links
You have to join the paper in the corner, if you went round the corner the paper wouldn't be plumb any more and so the pattern would go downhill (or uphill).

The pattern should remain at the same 'height' or level.

Send a picture of that same corner, but at the very top of the wall.

This will confirm if he has got his heights right or wrong.

Last edited:
As sparkwright said, looks like he hasn't kept the height the same so it would be "less" noticeable

Thanks all

was also a number of air bubbles in the paper and poorly cut in places.

stupidly the other half paid him before I got home. I have taken it up with the decorator and he says there is nothing wrong with his workmanship!

He isn’t being at all helpful. I have asked for return of half the money paid but he refuses.

Thanks all

was also a number of air bubbles in the paper and poorly cut in places.

stupidly the other half paid him before I got home. I have taken it up with the decorator and he says there is nothing wrong with his workmanship!

He isn’t being at all helpful. I have asked for return of half the money paid but he refuses.

Is it definitely air bubbles, sometimes its just the paste might be a bit thick, but should be flat by the morning.

Paper does tear really easy once it's wet from the paste, and blunts the blades almost instantly. I use a new blade for each sheet of paper, trying to get more than 2x cuts from a blade can't be done from my experience.

Is it definitely air bubbles, sometimes its just the paste might be a bit thick, but should be flat by the morning.

Paper does tear really easy once it's wet from the paste, and blunts the blades almost instantly. I use a new blade for each sheet of paper, trying to get more than 2x cuts from a blade can't be done from my experience.

we have removed the paper now

You cannot get a perfectly square room , so Wallpaper is readjusted in internal corners , the corners are the only way to lose overlapping pattern , it should always be bourne in mind that some wallpaper patterns are worse than others for alignment , is it the picture or is the shading of the wallpaper a different colour if so this would not help hiding the cut in the corner .

WHAAAT???
WHY?
You could've done a million other things, first of all leave it for a couple of weeks and see if it's something that still bothers you.
Or paint the corner in a bold colour.
Well, too late.
What’s the other 999,998 possibilities? :whistle::LOL:

Would you expect the pattern to at least match at the same height?

Yes I would make all start at the same heights, but to be fair to the decorator - I would avoid doing two adjoining walls with such a pattern to begin with. When papering I run the paper an inch or two around the corner, then cover it with the next strip of paper for the adjoining wall. If the inch or two would not lay flat, I would cut wedges out so it could lay flat.

You can get away with taking wallpaper around a wall, but only if the plaster is perfectly flat and square, and it doesn't have to go very far around the corner. I managed to wrap around my living room chimney breast without a break in the pattern, but it was only an extra 14" from the face, back to the wall and all square/flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back