Is this against building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a friends house at weekend. They were proud to show off there new kitchen extension which was indeed very nice.

In one corner of the kitchen was a door which when opened revealed a cloakroom housing a washbasin and a toilet.

Isn't that against building regs? I thought that a toilet must not open directly into a kitchen.

If it is wrong, I wonder how they got away with it. Surely they must have had to have the plans passed for building regs?

Sponsored Links
I recently had a rear Kitchen extension, with a wc/bath/shower opening directly into Kitchen, passed up here in Yorks.

Bldg Regs just want you, amongst other things, to ensure ventilation requirements are met.

absolutely fine to have single door separation between wc and the kitchen!

I think it used to be a no, no but it seems to be OK now as long as you have forced ventilation. It might be worth a call to your local BC to find out exactly what they should have in there. If you fancy the place, I would certainly ask the seller some questions to see weather or not they have followed correct procedure for PP & BC & that they have the necessary paperwork before you go any further!

Sponsored Links
It is acceptable to have a WC straight off the kitchen. There are no requirements to have special ventilation either, other than what is required for a normal WC - rapid (fan or window) and background.

IIRC, it was changed in the 80's following a precedent court case relating to landlord and tenant housing law, were it was decided that it was not unsanitary. The only requirement is that there is a basin to wash you hands either in the WC or the room immediatly off the WC - ie the kitchen sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back