Is this Artex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we just bought a house and I'm looking for advice as to what is covering the ceiling and upper wall (see picture attached). On the ceiling you can see what look like join lines, making me think it's some kind of textured wallpaper. But no lines very visanle apparent on the wall (though the same pattern). I used a steamer to remove the wallpaper that was covering all of the wall (revealing the new textured covering on the wall), and the upper part of the wall was quite dusty after this. There does seem to be some evidence of it being a paper in different parts of the room (e.g. looks like you can feel it away) but around the windows it's chalky and the pattern doesn't seem as thick, although maybe this is due to painting! Any advice would be welcomed as i'm concerned it might be artex.

Attachments

• IMG_9547.PNG
    IMG_9547.PNG
    376.3 KB · Views: 380
Sponsored Links
...but to my eye it looks like the ceiling is cracked and sagging. The paper might be holding it up.

The age of the house is relevant.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies. The house was built in 1933 and the same family owned it until we bought it this month (the old lady who lived there died last year).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back