Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to post like this and hope this is the right forum. Just had the loft cleared and although the guy took most things he couldn't quite get a small water tank in his van. I agreed to take it to the dump but when I went to move it I found two small suspicious fibrous looking tiles inside.

Before I do anything does anyone know, just by looking at them, whether they are asbestos. And if so do I don some disposable coveralls and a mask, put them in an appropriate bag and call the council? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it probably is.

Just put them in a poly bag and remove - no need to get all dressed up

Sorry to post like this and hope this is the right forum. Just had the loft cleared and although the guy took most things he couldn't quite get a small water tank in his van. I agreed to take it to the dump but when I went to move it I found two small suspicious fibrous looking tiles inside.

Before I do anything does anyone know, just by looking at them, whether they are asbestos. And if so do I don some disposable coveralls and a mask, put them in an appropriate bag and call the council? Thanks

It does look like asbestos to me....I personally would get disposable coveralls and a dusk mask,its ok as long as you dont break it but looking at the corners it appears it has been broken....double bag it and the local council will take it away or tell you where to put it.....dont take chances with it as you wont know you have a problem until later on in life.....coveralls and a dusk mask about £10?? well worth it

The process is to lift the tiles a bit and slide a bag over it/put it in a bag.

10 seconds worth of work

Any fibres are contained within the cement structure and wont be floating around. In any case even if cracked, the amount of fibres are very very small so as not to be an issue

If you have fibreglass insulation in the loft already then those fibres will be floating around, so if they affect you, then wear a mask for those. But the risk from these asbestos tiles is minimal

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I didn't clear the loft but had it cleared, cleaned and insulated from scratch by someone else. As far as I'm aware those two tiles were just dumped up there along with the other clutter.

Any problems will come from jumping up and down on an asbestos garage roof with my brother when I was 6!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back