Potential small amount of asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently moved into a 1930s semi and im clearing out the loft in preperation for loft insulation. Ive discovered a small amount of material which I believe could possibly be asbestos.

My plan as to move it as its only a small amount but wanted to seek out some advice first. Would a P3 mask, gloves and overalls suffice? I thought maybe covering it in a soaked sheet might help to keep any fibres from releasing. Then double-bag it into rubble sacks before taking to our local licensed disposal centre.

Any advice or suggestions would be massively appreciated

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like asbestos, looks like some other material that's perished over time.

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty keen to take the necessary precautions even if its not asbestos so would you say that my ideas in the original post would suffice for that amount of material?

Thanks again

If you are really worried that the board may have asbestos then you should take the proper precautions, better safe than sorry. Of course, ideally you should get someone in to do the work properly and safely.

Often, the best thing to do is actually leave it in place but if, like you say, it has started to deteriorate then it is understanable to want to remove it. You may want to take a look at some HSE guidance for official advice.

One thing you didn't mention is footwear. Something like a pair of wellies will be easy to clean off afterwards (I think the guidance recommends laceless footwear for ease of decontamination).

Sponsored Links
Hard to say what it is from that photo. If it is asbestos where has it come from? You wouldn't normally just get asbestos lying there like that. It would usually be associated with something else - such as a boiler or tank or something. It does look a bit odd though. If it were me I would have it sampled and analysed. You know what you're dealing with then. Either way I wouldn't advise messing about with it yourself. Whatever that material is, it is not asbestos cement board, which in asbestos terms is relatively safe. That stuff is soft and in asbestos terms that means NASTY.

Thanks again for the advice.

I know you should never make assumptions, but as it wasn't raised as a potential issue in the initial home report i decided to move it using the soaked sheet, into rubble sacks which have been double-bagged and sealed. Also went with wellies so thanks for that one.

Fingers crossed it was ok, but it was so minimal I dont think it caused too much of a problem,

Cheers,
Greg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back