is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ripped out a electric fireplace and blocking the chimney but with a whole in it looks like a price of plasterboard but not pink like gypsum more like cement. I didn't like the look of it so I've but the fire back in place. Does this sound like asbestos? I've attached some images.[/img]

Sponsored Links
If it has sparkly bits in it then no. If it's less than about 40 years old then probably not.

I didn't notice any sparkle. As for the age I have no idea. The house is over 100 yes but as for when it was bricked up I have no idea. If I cover it up the would be no ventilation for the chimney so I'm stumped. There seems to be rubble in there I hope I've not disturbed it to much. The room is going to be a playroom so I'm concerned.

You'll have to get it tested then.

Sponsored Links
Don't rely on sparkly bits.

Anything that looks like it could be asbestos, built in retrospectively or original, from pre 1995 should be presumed asbestos.

You don't need to test it, just treat it with common sense.

do I block the whole lot up or remove it carefully? whould this likely be white asbestos?

Given that it looks unlikely that the board can be removed with breaking it up and the room is for use by children I'd be inclined to have it tested before doing anything else.

Just do what the azzy strippers would do.

Spray it with copious amounts of diluted PVA. Let it dry then remove it and hoover up afterwards.

If people only knew what other toxins were in the air at any given time, children would be permanently in bio suits.

I was surprised to read recently that in mature adults there tens, to hundreds of thousands of asbestos fibres in every gram of lung tissue.. Just from natural environments exposure to background asbestos dust..

I'm surprised at the levels you mention but, given that the damn stuff was used in almost every conceivable product, not at the presence.

well its not ideal to seal up the fireplace but its been that way for god knows how long so ill seal it up for a few more years until I want to open it up properly and put a fire in there. thank you.

can you test it yourself or do you need to call someone in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back