Is this bad practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Been to friends house who is having spot lights fitted by electrician.

It is 1.5mm cable. It's been run below joists in rectangular cutouts and covered with insulation foam . The ceiling will be plastered.

Below 50mm. Cables are protected by 6amp mcb.

Cheers

IMG_20200719_214927.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s not the best way to do things, but is fairly common and doesn’t actually foul any regulations

It’s not the best way to do things, but is fairly common and doesn’t actually foul any regulations

I thought according to regs the wire is suppose to be 50mm above ceiling?!

Wiuld be easy for a pin to go through wire if hanging balloons, etc

Why did he not cut one hole, close to the joist and then drill a hole through that joist for the wire? If he used a right angled drill the hole in the ceiling would not have been much larger than the ones cut and the wire could have run above the ceiling. Mind you I would be just as upset with my spots not running parallel to each other!

Sponsored Links
He’ll be even more upset when he finds his ceiling torches don’t light up the room properly.

In that situation I'd have drilled a 15mm hole about 4-5" from the joist at about 30' and include going through it. It's more fiddly but quite doable with decent rods and much easier to patch.

He’ll be even more upset when he finds his ceiling torches don’t light up the room properly.

20 torches will light the room up. They have them in another room and are happy with the lighting.

I've just read If its less than 50mm it needs to be rcd protected. It is so that's that sorted. 17th ammendment consumer units have 2 rcd.

Personally I'd drill through joists.

What is the difference between what has been done and chasing a wall?

Chasing wall has to be in safe zones or 50mm depth otherwise need protecting.

Again if rcd which most consumers are would that mean the rules don't apply!?

20 torches will light the room up. They have them in another room and are happy with the lighting.
Yes but in a few years time when the fashion moves away from spotlights and downlighters people will again discover the benefits of 'proper' lighting and be asking in the building section how to fill 60mm holes in the ceilings.

20 tourches is typically 100w of LED lighting, equivalent to 1kW of tungsten. Going to be a lot of awfully bright spots.

Update

No rcd on consumer unit.

Does it make any difference ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back