Is this bad practice?

You also get glued floating t&g chipboard floor with no mechanical fixings, not that I think the ease of finding floor/ceiling joists has anything to do with the regs under discussion.

Sponsored Links
It's nothing directly to do with anything electrical, but notching of the underside of joists for anything (pipes, cables or whatever) is not permitted by the Building Regs because of its effect on the structural integrity (i.e. 'strength') of the joist. Notching of floorboards, which is what skenk mentioned (although, I presume, not 'seriously') doesn't (or, most certainly shouldn't!!) happen.

Kind Regards, John
As irrelevent as it is to this topic, you CAN notch the underside of JOISTS in the prescribed zones.

As I said, it makes sense to me that the RCD sockets have to comply with both Standards, otherwise most of BS 1363 would have to be repeated in BS 7288.
Yes - but the last sentence of the quote:

upload_2020-7-27_17-45-0.png

states that they may only be used where they are not needed.

Sponsored Links
Yes - but the last sentence of the quote: .... states that they may only be used where they are not needed.
It does appear to - but I confess that I had assumed that it had been badly written, and that what it actually intended to say was ...

".... SRCDs are only intended to provide supplementary protection downstream of the SRCD. SRCDs are intended for use in circuits where the fault protection and additional protection are already assured for parts of the circuit upstream of the SRCD."

In other words, I thought they were intending the stress the (correct) point that (in contrast with over-current devices) any residual current device only ever provides residual current protection downstream of itself - so that, if such protection is required upstream of the device, it has to be provided by something else.

If that's not what they intended then, as you say, it makes no sense, since it would be saying that SRCDs are only intended to be used when they were not needed (unless one wanted redundancy or 'active' RCD functionality, which most SRCDs provide)! However, maybe my assumption was wrong and they did 'write what they intended' (which I suppose would explain the absence of BS 7288 from the list of acceptable residual current devices in BS 7671) - in which case I really don't understand the thinking/sense!

This thread (and others) on the IET forum (click here) discusses this issue in much the same (partially incredulous) manner as we are discussing here.

However, I cannot deny that what you linked to is a perfect reproduction of what BS 7288 says, since the one page of it (other than the Table of Contents) one can see in the 'free preview' on the BSI website says:

upload_2020-7-27_21-9-50.png

It would obviously be good to be able to read subsequent pages, since they might well clarify what they really are saying.

That one page also provides some 'justification' for why BS 7288 has been created, in addition to BS EN 61008 and BS EN 61009, about which it says:

upload_2020-7-27_21-11-26.png

Kind Regards, John

As irrelevent as it is to this topic, you CAN notch the underside of JOISTS in the prescribed zones.
That's contrary to what most people believe. To my surprise, Approved Doc A is silent on this matter (refering one to TRADA tables or various Standards for details concerning all structural woodwork) but many LABCs produce Technical Guidance Notes which indicate that only the upper side of joists (and in certain places and sizes) may be notched. For example, this from the Hertfordshire LABC (click here) ...
upload_2020-7-27_21-52-45.png

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for that.

Rightly or wrongly, there are a lot of diagrams on the internet showing notches cut in the underside of joists, supposedly allowed at the same intervals as notches at the top - although they do stipulate you must not have notches in the same spot both top and bottom.

Last edited:
Does it depend where you live? Different councils; different rules?
I looked at several, and get the impression that they are all quoting from the same source (although none say what that is), since they all say very much the same thing.
That seems consistent with (not different from) the Hertfordshire one I posted, given that it says:

upload_2020-7-28_1-20-34.png

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for that. Rightly or wrongly, there are a lot of diagrams on the internet showing notches cut in the underside of joists, supposedly allowed at the same intervals as notches at the top - although they do stipulate you must not have notches in the same spot both top and bottom.
Maybe, but the fact is that a notch of a given size and (lateral) position on the bottom of a top-loaded beam (such as a floor joist) has a much greater impact on the structural behaviour than does notch of the same size and position on the top of the timber.

It's also worth remembering that this thread is about ceilings. If it is a top-floor room, the 'ceiling joist' may not even be deep enough to be designed to take any appreciable loads (like people walking on it in a roofspace), even when intact, so any notching in it (top or bottom) would probably be highly undesirable.

Of course, these rules/guidances must make some assumptions about the size of the joist, probably that it corresponds to 'current practices'. In my house, some of the (mixed Victorian and Georgian) floor joists are, quite unnecessarily, about 12" x 3" - and there is, in engineering terms, no good reason why I shouldn't create a very sizeable notch in the underside of one of those :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back