Is this Black + Decker drill faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some months ago I bought a Black + Decker 18 V cordless 2-Gear combi hammer drill from Amazon and some drill bits.

At some point I was drilling holes in the wall with a stone drill bit and noticed that it was wobbling and making the holes bigger than the screw plugs even though the the drill bit was less wide than the plug.
When I had a closer look it seemed the drill bit wasn't centred so I re-cantered it many times to see if maybe I had set it wrong but it still wobbled.
It didn't seem as off with some other drill bits so I wondered if the bit had bent. But with others it also seemed to wobble. Kind of intermittently.
So I had a look inside without a bit in and had it turn slowly and it seems the inner part is rotating off-centre.
So I uploaded a two second video to YouTube and wonder if anyone would have a quick look to tell me if that inner part is supposed to rotate off-centre like that or not.

I want the confirmation mainly because the return system for Black + decker is an absolute nightmare.
I requested a return/replacement and they emailed me a form that I have to print out, fill in and sign by hand, then scan and email back then also send a physical copy in the mail in order for them to process the return.
I don't want to go through all that if there is nothing actually wrong with the drill.

Sponsored Links
Roll the bit on a flat surface, you will see it wobble if it's bent.

With the drill does the Chuck wobble when the triggers pressed? This is called chuck runout. On high end drills the runout is minimal, but on cheaper brands the runout is much worse.

Black and decker used to be decent tools until Stanley got hold of them and effectively ruined the brand, they didn't want it to compete with DeWalt or Stanley so turned it into a budget brand when it was once well respected.

That's just the screw that holds the chuck on, looks like its bent however that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem, it may have been like that from new. It may have come loose and its hanging out from the threads, worth trying to tighten it back up with the right Torx bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back