Is this board made of asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if this board that I found under the stairs could be an asbestos board of some kind.
I thought it was all cement under the stairs but when I looked closer, I noticed that part of it was a separate board and it's definitely not made of wood as far as I can tell.

Pictures below:

IMG_1212.jpegIMG_1213.jpegIMG_1214.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Either get it tested by sending away a sample or remove and dispose of it assuming it is asbestos.

Could be.
More likely asbestos cement, so “ok” to leave if not messed with.

Get it tested but if it is in an under stairs cupboard then removal will be risky compared to a thick coat of paint.

Thanks, the problem is that this was part of the garage which was converted to a room before we moved in, in 2019. This is a playroom for the kids and we removed the door to go under the stairs for extra storage for toys etc. So, if it is asbestos, then it really needs to be removed. It does look like this stuff, so it most likely is a cement board of some kind: https://insulationgo.co.uk/rcm-mult...cement-building-board-8ft-4ft-superflex-12mm/

If I can get it tested, then great, however not sure where to go about doing this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the problem is that this was part of the garage which was converted to a room before we moved in, in 2019. This is a playroom for the kids and we removed the door to go under the stairs for extra storage for toys etc. So, if it is asbestos, then it really needs to be removed. It does look like this stuff, so it most likely is a cement board of some kind: https://insulationgo.co.uk/rcm-mult...cement-building-board-8ft-4ft-superflex-12mm/

If I can get it tested, then great, however not sure where to go about doing this.
Is superflex the stuff that is sparkly?. Plenty of places can do asbestos testing where they send you some kit.. You take a small sample and post it to them. They then confirm if its asbestos or not. Its often cheaper to follow the correct HSE guidance on DIY asbestos removal and just get rid of it.

The worry I have about removing it, even if it is a cement based board, is that it's nailed in rather than screwed in. So it'll be difficult to remove it without breaking it.

The worry I have about removing it, even if it is a cement based board, is that it's nailed in rather than screwed in. So it'll be difficult to remove it without breaking it.
You need to do some reading on asbestos removal. Cement based asbestos is low fibre release. If you use the appropriate controls there is minimal risk. Perhaps get it tested (£45 ish) and hope its not.

My local recycling centre takes asbestos like that but you need to follow guide on council website.

Other option is a company on Facebook my neighbour used to remove asbestos garage roof for £550. Yorkshire I think they are based.
They travel all over UK.

Thanks guys. I've gone for a test from this site: https://www.asbestos-sampling.com/.
Hopefully at worst, it's a cement based asbestos board that I might be able to remove myself. I'll update when I have the results. (y)
I've used them a couple of times, the test results have always been quick.
But make sure you follow the instructions carefully, for labelling and registering the test pack online.

The sample only pack, is £30.

To take a sample.
Use an FFP3 mask or better.
Dampen down the sample area first with a spray bottle, and if you can, break off the sample within a plastic bag.
If there is any debris left, clean it up with damp paper towels and double bag it.
Don't use a vacuum cleaner.

Great, thanks for the tips. I've seen people use watered down PVA glue as well when damping down the board and also some kind of putty to seal the exposed edge after breaking it. Is that something worth doing?

I've seen houses having asbestos inspections as part of the selling process. I'm all for getting rid of if you can. Guess it depends

Ok, so the results are in. The board contains Chrysotile (White asbestos) and looks to be a cement based board after speaking to a company about it. £400 +VAT to remove it which seems very expensive. After seeking other advice we’ve been advised that it’s best to seal the board as it’s not a high risk material (compared to other asbestos) and I’m going to board over it with wood and plaster board. In a few years time I might get it removed completely however, we are in no hurray as this is our (for lack of a better word) “forever” house. I’m going to seal it initially with watered down PVA glue (sprayed on) and then paint over with the correct encapsulant paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back