Asbestos? Johnson & Starley Warm Air Heating, Cupboard ? Removal Cost

Sponsored Links
Have had a good look through, the surveyor seems to have been very thorough inspecting what he could see, with mention of asbestos in soffits and the presence of an asbestos cement flue in the roofspace, amongst the various other items he flagged up.

However, I too, cannot see any mention of a redundant warm air unit, (or in fact anything), in that cupboard. Whilst it clearly states they wont move furniture, I think there may have been enough of a gap there to see there was something in that cupboard, even if you couldn't identify what. I'd also have been concerned as to if the cupboard door was blocked, then what was being hidden, and asked the question.

Luckily, I haven't need the services of an asbestos removal company, but these are local to get an idea of cost, http://www.proactiveasbestos.com/

Sponsored Links
Agree with the previous comments, the flue is almost certainly AC (asbestos cement), with probably asbestos rope in the joints.
The boarding looks like AIB to me it is too thick for AC which is normally about 8mm or so and yours looks looks quite soft AC is hard and brittle.
The asbestos rope seals and maybe gaskets in the appliance are not a concern they would only be exposed if the appliance it's self is dismantled.
As far as the survey to anyone with a shred of common sense a load of asbestos lurking in a cupboard has got to effect the house value which is what the surveyor is concerned about, he has assumed that the old warm air has been removed when the wet system was fitted, even if the unit was removed the panelling may have been left, no excuse he should have either asked the vendor or at least put down that he had no access to the compartment.
He knew there was an old flue because he mentioned to asbestos flue in the loft it seems.
Quite possibly he is too young to remember the widespread use of warm air and didn't even consider it, like most older tradesmen I would be on the look out for old warm air stuff as I walked up the garden path!
Any property built between the late 50's and the early 80's, local authority, or with a ridge terminal is going to be suspect.

s. out of everything above, any idea how much would it cost to remove the thing + cupboard all together? anyone has ever done it?

We were paying £1200 Inc vat, for removing these types of heater last year. This includes for a full enclosure (ie polythene tent and decom unit), and clearance tests.

But it will depend on the type land location of asbestos in your particular model. On a similar contract, other JS heaters had no asbestos content.

Btw, there may be a board on the back of that cupboard door.

First quote I have got today was for £1350 + VAT on top of that for removing down stairs cupboard insulation boards. Seem to be quite expensive.

Did you have removed heating system + boards + pipe that goes up to the loft? for that £1200 inc vat

Any property built between the late 50's and the early 80's, local authority, or with a ridge terminal is going to be suspect.

It was built circa 1975, is ex LA, and most of the properties in that area have a ridge terminal.....

The thing in the bedroom I'd suspect was for hot water, surprised it hasn't been removed when the combi was installed. Cheap job by the previous occupants possibly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back