Is this bonding gutter fitted right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20181108-154729_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181108-154541_Facebook.jpg

Sponsored Links
Very Bad... firstly starting at the bottom, check the lead flashings to the dormer corner. They are incorrectly formed.
Slate work is very poor, little slithers are not acceptable practice and as for the general laying is not good . The half slates abutting the dormer cheek look loose and will definitely rattle in the wind and fall out.
Send these guys down the road...

Actually no idea what to do now. The scaffolding is still up.

Sponsored Links
Keep it up and get another guy to sort it.
On your side its not a big area and possibly a lot of the slates can be salvaged and reused.

If you leave it as it is, it will bite you

I paid a lot of money and they are all new slates. Gutted

Yes I can see they were new Spanish slate. Not the best grade but that aside they ..could have been laid tidily.
the gutter obviously set off alarm bells

Screenshot_20181108-182803_Messenger.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108-182745_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20181108-182745_Messenger.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 268
Just wondering, did you have 27 quotes and go for the cheapest?
Sorry to hear you’re having problems. The dormer cladding is pretty rough, all that silicone edged corner will go black over time.

That cladding isn't suitable for that level of exposure
as it looks like hollow soffit.
Where did you find these people?

That cladding isn't suitable for that level of exposure
as it looks like hollow soffit.
Where did you find these people?

I see hollow soffit on loads of dormers and front sidings. It’s like it’s the normal thing these days just to hollow everything. I don’t think half these roofers know it’s for soffit use only. Saying that, back in ‘98, one of the first jobs I ever fitted was a block of flats. Did the lot in hollow. Shiplap was unheard of and the plastics place I bought it from said hollow would be ok. Luckily I drive past the job a few times a week and 20 years on its still there and looks pretty good!

Its going to depend a lot how its fitted, if its fitted to counter batons with a membrane fitted behind the batons then I can see it working because its effectively a rain screen with drainage, but nailed straight on to plywood I
wouldn't be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back