Is this bonding situation still OK ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just come back from a mates house were he's had a water meter fitted by the local water authority. His bonding terminal was directly onto the lead pipe that came through the floor. The water guy cut the lead pipe above this, fitted the meter and new copper pipe above the cut and then connected the other end of the new pipework back to the existing lead going up through the roof.
The thing is, he's used leadlocs for the connections. Aren't these connected internally via rubber o-rings ? If this is the case, is there still a circuit through the joint, or is the o-ring there just as a water-seal and the lead/copper continuity is unaffected ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm rather surprised at this, 'Shaky', because most Water Boards fit a clamp on both sides of an above-gound meter as a matter of course, and often they'll fit a third clamp to maintain continuity. It's a different matter when they fit a meter outside on the public highway, in which case they simply issue a standard notice to the consumer that he should seek advice from an electrician.

In either case, the Water Authority are obliged by legislation to inform the consumer of the implications of a supply modification.

Lucia.

How was the bonding connected to the lead pipe? You can't use a BS951 clamp on it...

How was the bonding connected to the lead pipe? You can't use a BS951 clamp on it...

Hi RF, I'll try to get a picture but my camera has been playing up of late, I really need a new one :confused: The clamp is exactly the same as the one on the gas pipe that enters the house, with a label on it saying "do not remove, protective earth". I presume this is a naughty then ?

Sponsored Links
That's a myth, RF. Those old lead water mains are as tough as old boots, and certainly tougher than 15/22mm Cu. They also allow a good bite for a lasting grip.

The same goes for that old myth about clamps on service cables. This old wives' tale seems to be perpetuated ad-nauseum without a basic understanding of what goes on in reality........

Lucia.

Shaky: you don't need to publish photos of that alteration to the water supply. A simple, accurate written description will suffice.

If you have doubts about your friend's bonding, then you should advise him to take it up with the Water Authority, because they have a statutory duty to inform the customer of any changes in their supply which might compromise the earthing or bonding of an installation.

Lucia.

the leadloc, although incorporating a rubber o ring will provide continuity through the join, the 'olive' is barbed and there is a tight brass connection, i think it would be best to move the bond to the consumers side of the water meter anyway.

Shaky: you don't need to publish photos of that alteration to the water supply. A simple, accurate written description will suffice.
If you have doubts about your friend's bonding, then you should advise him to take it up with the Water Authority, because they have a statutory duty to inform the customer of any changes in their supply which might compromise the earthing or bonding of an installation.
Lucia.

Thanks Lucia, even though it would be a straightforward job to put a new bond onto the home side of the meter, I think a call to the local WA would be a more prudent move. I get the idea from my mate that the guy who did the work seemed to not be quite sure of what he was doing. Maybe a re-visit after a scolding off his gaffer might make him remember for future jobs ?

After all, we all make mistakes, we just need reminding of them from time to time aye ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back