Is this correct / legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
just have plasterboard of kitchen roof as i need to replace sections of it.
there is 2 normal ceiling lights in the room, as the plasterboard was down i got a look in to see the lights, i notice the 1mm cable on the way in goes into a junction box the 2 wires come out feeding the 2 lights, is that ok?
what else i notice is the junction box and one of the lights are directly under the bath on the first floor!
is that even legal? i mean if the bath or shower etc was leaking would that just trip the light or seriously electrocute someone in the bath / shower?
so i have to move the lights?
also i didn't think it was ok for junction boxes with no access to them? mind you this would have been done many years ago as its an ex council house..

thanks

Sponsored Links
downlights and JBs under the bath is legal and to regs as far as protection is concerned. Never known a bath leak and if it did, the person in the bath would probably NOT get a shock. Its extremely unlikely anyway. Its also unlikely that the electrics would trip too, unless the circuit is on an RCD.

And the JBs should be accessible. Small JBs with slack on cables can be poked through downlight holes ;) Or they can be placed under the bath, accessed from the bath side panel with the use of a tool.

Ask Sidmus, he's the forums new expert & no one else is competent to asnwer any questions. :D

Mattylad I understand sidmus has touched a nerve with you by the comments he made at you but I think you need to get a thicker skin.I would of laughed them off.As I read it he made no claim he was the new expert nor did he say no one here was competent.He was correct you are a DIYer and you do not have the qualification to prove competent in a court of law and we live it a society under laws.Carryng on like you are makes you come over a bit b@@hy I would suggest you drop it now'
This site is here to provide help and advice not as everyone told him to express there personal opinions which is what you have done here.This person has asked for help and you have replied to that by a girlie dig at someone who is long gone.
Can we get back on the subject and try and help this person now thank you ;)

Sponsored Links
Sealion, you missed the smiley, it was sarcasm..... lol
I'm the one that said he was a troll all along.

like I said he raised some interested and valid points that no one seemed to clear up plumber aside

Mattylad I understand sidmus has touched a nerve with you by the comments he made at you but I think you need to get a thicker skin.I would of laughed them off.As I read it he made no claim he was the new expert nor did he say no one here was competent.He was correct you are a DIYer and you do not have the qualification to prove competent in a court of law and we live it a society under laws.Carryng on like you are makes you come over a bit b@@hy I would suggest you drop it now'
This site is here to provide help and advice not as everyone told him to express there personal opinions which is what you have done here.This person has asked for help and you have replied to that by a girlie dig at someone who is long gone. ;)

Cumm'on sealeon, tell us. Are you really sidmus in disguise? :LOL:

V

Oh no, it's started again. All we need now is Sidmus to get involved and we'll have another 200 posts... :D

like I said he raised some interested and valid points that no one seemed to clear up plumber aside

downlights and JBs under the bath is legal and to regs as far as protection is concerned. Never known a bath leak and if it did, the person in the bath would probably NOT get a shock. Its extremely unlikely anyway. Its also unlikely that the electrics would trip too, unless the circuit is on an RCD.

And the JBs should be accessible. Small JBs with slack on cables can be poked through downlight holes ;) Or they can be placed under the bath, accessed from the bath side panel with the use of a tool.

Which points did Steve miss?

:?:

Err...

in 4 consecutive posts we had:

mattylad: Ask Sidmus, he's the forums new expert & no one else is competent to asnwer any questions.

sealeon: Mattylad I understand sidmus has touched a nerve with you by the comments he made at you...

mattylad: Sealion, you missed the smiley, it was sarcasm..... lol I'm the one that said he was a troll all along.

sealeon: like I said he raised some interested and valid points that no one seemed to clear up plumber aside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back