Is this damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is anybody able to help me diagnose this problem I have. I had all my living room skimmed when I moved into my house last year and on the wall which is connected to my neighbours it looks like damp
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac148/sted963/Mobile Uploads/20160731_171422_zpsswaziq1p.jpg
It never goes higher than this mark.
I have sanded the paint off as it just looks darker like it is wet? When it was plastered it was down to the floorboards so I have nocked it away so it is not touching the floorboards. There is a chimney breast on the right hand side but on the left it's the wall that connects to my kitchen. I don't think it's rising damp as it's not an external wall.

Sponsored Links
Yes it looks like damp.

That line of damp is indicative of damp rising (which does not have to be on an external wall), however it may not be rising damp (a specific form of damp) but just damp rising upwards (eg condensation damp or a breached DPC). Cutting that plaster away might have sorted it, but previously damp plaster can appear damp in furture as the moisture brings salts to the surface which in turn absorb more moisture from the air.

Monitor it for a bit now.

Thanks I have been monitoring it for about a year now it just doesn't change. When ever I paint it the paint stays dark like it's not drying. The mark never goes above that line. Do you think it's salts? If it is would I have to strip the plaster to the line then replaster

Sponsored Links
Try a gloss paint before the emulsion top coat, or find a specific sealer for the plaster. Otherwise yes you might have to replaster the area.

But you need to be sure that there is no rising damp. Search the forum for how to diagnose.

Do you mean you have cured it? How? Where does the water now drain to?

Have a look under the floor by today's wet wall. I think you will find it is damp under there. It might be running along under the floor, or it might be another leak.

Do you mean you have cured it? How? Where does the water now drain to?

Have a look under the floor by today's wet wall. I think you will find it is damp under there. It might be running along under the floor, or it might be another leak.
I dug a trench next to the house and filled it all with gravel so the condensate pipe runs away from the house.
I can't get the floor up there is laminate down. I don't see how it can be a leak there is nothing on that wall?
I took some more plaster off the wall last night and can now see the original plaster underneath.
Do you think this new plaster could have salts? That's why it looks like this?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back