Is this dry rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a 1930s semi-detached house. It's been in the same family since 1950, so needs quite a bit of modernisation. During the rewire, the electrician found some dry rot. I'm no expert in these matters, and I've booked a survey but I wanted some other opinions (the surveyors can get to me for a few weeks at the earliest).

This looks like woodworm to me:
IMGP0193.jpg

This is very soft wood that falls apart when squeezed:
IMGP0196.jpg

This is some rotted out floor boards from under the sink, presumably where any dry rot may come from:
IMGP0198.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
have you seen any "fruit" or tendrils/roots, or reddish powder (spores)?

No, nothing like that. After I posted I noticed the holes in the joists as well (second pic) which I guess also indicates woodworm.

How big could the tendrils/roots be?

Definitely woodworm.
Not sure what kind though, if possible try and break away a piece from the underside of an affected joist and post a pic for a better diagnosis.
I suspect that you may have some wet rot as well.

Sponsored Links
thanks, the lowest pic next to the hammer contains a section of the underside that was broken away. This board was below the sink. Looks like it has some kind of white fungi and some darker brown stuff.

Sorry to keep you waiting.
Difficult to say from that sample but in the absence of any cubodial cracking I would be inclined to say it was a slight case of wet rot in addition to woodworm.
Try googling "dry rot" and you should get some very good pics of just what dry rot affected timber looks like, then compare it with your sample.
If you are still in any doubt clearer photos would be required.

Thank you so much! Having Googled and found lots of pics, it isn't dry rot (at least, from the small sample). I'll try and get the full board up to properly check the underside.

Cheers!

A classic case of wood worm & not mutch ventelation. plenty of sub space from what i can see are there any air bricks near by

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back