Is this dry rot, what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago I had a window that was falling apart in my bathroom. I got it replaced with a PVC window and the guy didn't mention anything about the state of the wood around the window.

Now I'm renovating the bathroom and I've found the wood under the window is soft and crumbly. Is this dry rot? Could it just be from when it got wet in the past and now its dry?

Is it possible to tell from the photos, and any advice on what to do? Thanks

IMG-20200502-WA0020.jpeg
IMG-20200502-WA0022.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Ideally it needs removing. You could remove half of it, replace it with a few bricks mortared in,w a couple of days, then remove the other half. If you do, worth painting rot treatment round the cavity that's left.

Also worth treating any joists and floorboards with a meter, as it can spread.

If removing it is a daunting task, cover it with as many coats of rot treatment as you can, followed by hardener.

It doesn't look like 'Dry Rot' it looks like 'Wet Rot' that has dried out. It needs replaced so hopefully you won't find bits that you can't presently see that is Dry Rot, Dry Rot can be a horrible destructive and expensive problem. If you are not sure when taking it out get an expert to look at it. With Dry Rot you usually see a root system growing out of the wood into the adjacent masonry.

How far can you push a screwdriver into it?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like 'Dry Rot' it looks like 'Wet Rot' that has dried out. It needs replaced so hopefully you won't find bits that you can't presently see that is Dry Rot, Dry Rot can be a horrible destructive and expensive problem. If you are not sure when taking it out get an expert to look at it. With Dry Rot you usually see a root system growing out of the wood into the adjacent masonry.

How far can you push a screwdriver into it?

This is kind of what I'm thinking, as I know the old window must have let in water. But the new one is totally sealed, so it seems like it has just dried out. I will be there tomorrow, so I'll try with a screwdriver and see, should I be looking out for anything?

Ok so 2 layers of bricks below this piece of wood were falling apart and there was all this black stuff that seemed a bit like soil! Is it old mortar? Anyway, I took out the wood, and all the disintegrating bricks, and I'll just put some new bricks in and fill out all the gaps with mortar

OP,
Remove and hack off all the loose plaster and plaster laths.
You will probably have to go down to the floor and past that whatever it is on the right hand side. Then post a pic of whats there eg masonry and/or studding.
Post a pic of the outside as well please.
It will be simple enough to later remove the rotten packing piece - i doubt that its giving much support to the Pvc frame.

Cut the thing out and be done with it.
It looks to me like the entire window is framed in a crap casement and the whole elevation is of slender (half brick) construction.

I'm thinking the whole wall needs a thermal/structural upgrade, especially as it is a bathroom.

It looks to me like the entire window is framed in a crap casement and the whole elevation is of slender (half brick) construction.

I'm thinking the whole wall needs a thermal/structural upgrade, especially as it is a bathroom.

What do you think looking at this new photo? It's just under the window that seems bad because after used to get in.

What would a thermal/structural upgrade entail?

20200504_143706.jpg
20200504_164913.jpg

The wood you've exposed is part of an older wood frame - the Pvc frame was inserted in the remains of the original frame.
Pics from outside will tell more esp if damp is a continuing issue or the original frame is exposed to weather.

The bath and false floor need removing, and the window wall needs hacking back to brick from floor to ceiling.
The stud wall can be drilled for supplies and waste

The wood you've exposed is part of an older wood frame - the Pvc frame was inserted in the remains of the original frame.
Pics from outside will tell more esp if damp is a continuing issue or the original frame is exposed to weather.

The bath and false floor need removing, and the window wall needs hacking back to brick from floor to ceiling.
The stud wall can be drilled for supplies and waste

Thanks I think all the issues under the window were from a seriously broken old window, it was years ago but I remember it was an issue. I'll have a look outside tomorrow

The remaining plaster/render is so fixed it's really not coming off. Someone else in this thread said if its that solid I could plaster over it. What do you think?

The floor I will fill in that missing bit with ply, then someone is coming to put more ply perfectly level and feathered and then LVT tiles. I am going to use moisture resistant plasterboard on the walls tomorrow, I wasn't going to bother insulating.

You seem to be forfeiting the most important bit of the renovation, especially as it is a bathroom.

Sorry why is it so important to insulate a single internal wall between bedroom and bathroom, warmth or sound? I am really new to all this. What would you insulate it with if you did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back