Is this efflorescence on internal brick wall???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
Hi all

Was wondering if someone could give me some advice please.
We built an extension a year ago, and have an issue with an internal wall which was made of reclaimed brick.
Its a double cavity wall - (outside is blocks / insulation is poly beads).

A lot of the bricks have some sort of white growth on them. It looks like crystals or fur, and is 1 or 2 mm in length.

I have attached a pic to show a sample.
It strange, because whole areas are not effected, instead its random bricks!
I have scrubbed it off a few times now and it always quickly grows back.

Does this look like efflorescence, and if so how best can I remove it permanently?

Thanks so much
Ms T McB

Sponsored Links
1. Where did the reclaimed bricks come from - hopefully not from a demolished chimney breast?

2. The wall - bricks and beds looks to be slightly damp. Put the back of your hand to it.

3. Cavity beads would indicate a retro-cavity insulation fill. Why was the cavity insulated?

4. Pics of the exterior (rendered blocks?) please - and the interior wall at floor level.

5. It looks like efflorescence - its usually no big deal. When did it first appear?

6. What do you mean by "double cavity"?

Hi Ree

appreciate your reply. I will take more pics when i get home later,

our builder got the bricks from a reclamation yard. To be honest, I suspect some of them must have come from a chimney as they were black!!

They dont feel damp to the touch.

Building Control insisted that we insulate the cavity.

the blocks outside are rendered - will upload pics tonight.

It has been there since the extension was built last year, I keep cleaning it off, but it appears back very quickly.

Double cavity is just what we call your typical cavity wall ( sorry for difference in terms!)

Thanks

Hi Ree

appreciate your reply. I will take more pics when i get home later,

our builder got the bricks from a reclamation yard. To be honest, I suspect some of them must have come from a chimney as they were black!!

They dont feel damp to the touch.

Building Control insisted that we insulate the cavity.

the blocks outside are rendered - will upload pics tonight.

It has been there since the extension was built last year, I keep cleaning it off, but it appears back very quickly.

Double cavity is just what we call your typical cavity wall ( sorry for difference in terms!)

Thanks

How have you "cleaning it off"?

By the way, it's a cavity wall (not a double cavity):)

Sponsored Links
There are sealers on the market that creates a barrier within the fabric of the brick that allows water vapor to breathe out, but stops the water soluble salt molecules from migrating to the surface.

Amongst the possible problems are hygroscopic salts or that the brickwork has been washed down. Need to identify cause before applying solution (in both senses of the word!)?

Could be that every time salts appear its washed of with water which encourages the cycle.

Yes that is probably effloresence. Moisture from the air in front of the wall or from within the wall is the main cause.

As they are reclaimed bricks, the salty bricks were probably at or below ground level in whatever building they came from.
Keep brushing the salts off and it will eventually stop.

Hi Tony, its been a year since the internal wall was constructed, is it possible that moisture is still being pulled to the surface.
PS - its a question and not a statement. :) See even put a smiley face.

is it possible that moisture is still being pulled to the surface.
Dunno, but the presence of the salts suggest there is water from somewhere which is evaporating and bringing the salts to the surface.
Initial water from construction? Water penetration from outside? Condensation? who knows?

Agreed - Had the same issue on a grade two listed building that remained on site during a new build. It only became apparent near completion when the heating was being commissioned. We were advised the salts absorb back into the masonry when there is a high moisture content and get pulled to the surface when the air becomes dryer. We use a product to clean of the efflorescence and a microporous breathable liquid membrane was applied to hold back the salts. We remained on site a further 7 months during the summer I might add, with no sign of a reoccurrence.

Hi all
thanks you so so much for all your replies.
I have attached a pic of the whole wall. It is ground floor of a 2 story extension. The upper rows are all effected, and then random bricks lower down.
There are about a dozen black bricks, which must have come from a chimney - why is this bad??
I must admit, I hated the black when I first saw it built, but now I've got used to it, they add to the reclaimed look!

I know the builder applied some sort of acid to the whole wall, and then applied larson acrylic sealer to the brick wall and concrete floor. ( the wetmarks at base of wall are from this sealer), but I have tiler coming this week to tile the floor.

We had dehumidifier running for a few months last winter to help house dry out, and there isnt an issue with condensation. I really cant see water getting in from outside.
All the bricks feel really dry.

I haven't been washing the wall, I attach the hard brush onto the hoover and run the hoover brush over the whole wall, but I literally dont want to have to hoover my wall forever.

I shall maybe look into the products mentioned above

Thanks everyone, would be good to get to bottom of this.
DSC_0002.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back