Mortar efflorescence/bloom and tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning on creating some shelving in an area of an outbuilding.

It is an enclosed area is between the house (1950s) and the main outbuilding (1970s). It is brick on 3 sides (back of the house and the two walls in the shots), with a aluminum sliding door on the fourth wall and an insulated flat roof.

When I cleared the area I found what looks like crystals on the surface off the mortar on a single skinned external wall. I have attached some pictures. The unpainted wall to the left is double skinned with an unheated outbuilding beyond it, and the painted wall is single skinned external.

I have seen standard efflorescence on brick walls in the past, and this clearly looks different but does look like it could be something leaching out of the mortar and forming crystals.

I just wondered if anybody could please tell me what it is, and whether anything needs to be done about it. As far as I can tell the DPC is directly above the two courses of bricks that are affected.

Also, I want to lay untreated timber on the tiled floor as part of the shelving structure, and will also have untreated timber against that external wall. Do I need to take any precautions in terms of treated/protecting the timber, or use any barrier or gap between the surfaces and the timber?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

apMiWgtl.jpg

AGd5z89l.jpg

BWizhn4l.jpg

Sponsored Links
The DPC is doing its job. All masonry beneath is subject to damp and should be protected against any future renovations with a layer of 1200g polythene etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back