Is this Expansion Vessel OK ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Inside our boiler we have this expansion vessel - please see the attached picture.

The flexible hose seems a little bit kinked where it comes off of the boiler.

Would this stop the vessel from working ?

Would the best way to test to see if it is working is to check the pressure when the heating system is running ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
its probably not kinked enough to stop it working, but it will be a potential blockage point and yes, if the pressure rises excessively with the heating on there's a problem. Don't recognise the boiler..is it oil?

Hi

It is an oil fired boiler - a Grant Vortex.

The vessel is precharged to 1 Bar.

When the heating in on the pressure rises to around 1.3 Bar on the built in pressure gauge.

If I place a pressure gauge on the valve of the vessel when the heating is running then I should also read 1.3 Bar.

Is this correct ? This would tell me that the expansion vessel was seeing the increased pressure ?

Cheers

The fact that the heating is only rising 0.3 bar is indication enough that you have adequate expansion so I wouldn't be too concerned. It would only be worth checking the vessel while the system is drained to check the air pressure.

Sponsored Links
The hose looks perfect to me, and your pressure testing backs this up so no worries

Ricky (Grant Service Agent) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back