Is This Expensive Getting my Room Painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to know if this quote from my builder to paint the room he has skimmed is expensive?

The room is 4x4m and about 2.5m high and has a bay window across pretty much whole of one wall (window not to be painted).

He said it will be £450, which includes primer and undercoat, but I will have to buy the top coat myself.

Seems quite pricey since it doesn't include topcoat.

Is this reasonable?

Sponsored Links
No way. Tell him where to go. £180 including all materials.

Okay I've got someone who thinks £180 including all materials, which does seem ridiculously cheap, and someone who thinks that is a joke but does not post anything informative.

Anyone else who can give me some adviceon this?

Sponsored Links
£180 may be OK down in Dorset but not in London. Is there any onsite parking or will they have to pay parking, conjestion charge etc.

Is it just the woodwork as you don't mention walls or ceilings, assume as its just been skimmed these need doing.

As you mention primer is it all bear wood on the skirting, architrave and door?

So £50min for materials and two - three days at £400 don't sound bad assuming it ioncludes VAT.

Jason

Thanks jason,

It will have new door and inside of room frame, and skirting, which will be bare wood.

Ceiling and walls are all freshly skimmed ready to be primed.

Onsite parking is free. No congestion charge. They live round the corner.

sorry left it as a joke.. Was late for the club and was fully expecting other deccies to rubbish the £180 quote.. Even for Dorset :LOL:

I agree with Jason. But would want to see before quoting.

In most of the country you'd get it done for less that a hundred. Why pay more? Contact Mr Polski - he'll charge 50 quid if you pay him cash.

Think about it. Materials are cheap so £150 per day profit - 6 days a week.

How much do you earn week?

I go with joe, your builder/whoever is taking the ****. P&D isn’t exactly rocket science FFS, all finished it’s only a days work & I bet the spread didn’t get that much! Read what I said about “available site labour” on your plastering thread; I think your getting suckered my friend. ;)

In most of the country you'd get it done for less that a hundred. Why pay more? Contact Mr Polski - he'll charge 50 quid if you pay him cash.

Top Quality job then? :rolleyes: Armchair decorators :rolleyes:

Think about it. Materials are cheap so £150 per day profit

Oh I see. wilko stuff? ..do they do easyfill cheep? :LOL: usually need a bag when following a spread. Thats half a day gon, ;) Oh dear then we got to fill round and prime bare timber trims & door. Mist coat, do you supply heater to dry it quick? ready for next coat/s. Times gettin on eh ;) prime u/c wood/ then gloss/satin.. Ahh any old B&Q ?
Van/brushes/rollers/trowels (for following spreads ;) ) FUEL, Ahh do yuo send ur g/f to get the materials? .. No dinner? :(

How long is your day? ;)

How much do you earn week?

A bit more than a polski.. and.... I dont do six rooms a week ;)

It's not my fault you are inefficient. If you can't do that job in a day for £180 quid using decent paint then you are in the wrong job. No wonder the Poles are creaming it in.

Please veryone, I don't want an argument on whether it can be done for £180.

Just want people who do it professionally, and to a high standard, to give me an idea.

Thanks,

Tim.

Atm, I'm thinking along the lines of £350 would be expected for a top notch job.

Atm, I'm thinking along the lines of £350 would be expected for a top notch job.
So he’s not painting the window, what about the new architrave & skirting, does this include supply/fit/paint or is that extra? If it’s just for misting (priming) the skimmed walls/ceiling ready for you to apply the finish, £350 is way too much; misting is just 2/3 coats of cheap matt white emulsion thinned 25-30% applied in quick succession; a couple of hours at the most for a 4 x 4 room, including the ceiling; finish next day after it’s dried.

A decent spread will leave a finish not over polished & ready to prime without any need for filling/sanding. You may get the odd trowel mark highlighted by the mist coat & I sometimes manage it on an off day but that’s it; you certainly should not be paying the builder twice for a poor plastering job.

Do you earn £350 per day? Then why should some guy rolling a roller - it's a DIY job.

Totally agree with Joe. He makes some excellent points here about this.

I'd have it done, using Dulux primer/undercoat and still get home in time for the start of Deal or no deal. Zin bin on Knots as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back