is this fair ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
12 months ago I asked an electrician [3 man company] for an hourly rate to do the elecrical work on my new build, I agreed the rate he quoted and a few weeks later he came and did the 1st fix.
The bill was there in 3 days and I was suprised at the larger than expected amount, but as the labour and materiels were not costed separately [just a total] and he seemed to have done a good job I sent a cheque by return post.

After some delay [12 months] he returned on October 26th to 2nd fix, [2 men and an apprentice] this time, I supplied the materiels.
The boss and the boy called again on November 8th [on the way back from another job] to connect the tails in the meter box and change the incoming MCB, that the supply company had fitted, to a 100 amp DP unit, they were on site for an hour. this included his electrical test.
Again the bill came in a few days, this time, as it was all labour I knew what rate he had charged me, it was just less than 20% more than he had quoted me, he also charged the same rate for the "boy" the boss had also left the site to go to another job for 2 hours.
His invoice for the 2nd fix was dated November 1st but did not arrive until after his visit to fix the tails.

When I saw the rate he had charged me I telephoned him to challenge it, he eventually agreed to reduce his rate by 10%, as I had no wish to fall out with him, I reluctantly agreed to this but stipulated that he must first return to fix some problems, these he did not dispute, and he eventually came personally on January 5th and rectified the problems.
Today January 9th I received another invoice from him, for connecting the tails, doing the test and issuing a certificate, that eqates to seven hours labour, this figure also includes the issue of the certificate, is this normally charged as a seperate item or should it be included as part of the job.??
He also says, the certificate will only be issued on payment of the invoice/s
I feel he is now taking the p*ss and feel like starting from the beginning and insisting he itemises all invoices, sticks to his original rate,reduces the rate for the "boy" and explains how he has charged me 7 hours for an hours work, I do not think he can charge me travelling time for the fitting of the tails as he only called on his way back from another job [ the same one that he left my site to visit during the 2nd fix] therefore I have already paid his travelling time once.

Sorry for the long post would like fair comments please.

Sponsored Links
Hi Confused,

You say you were given a 'quote' , this is different to a 'price' and it gives this guy room to keep hitting you with 'extras'.( just my opinion).

When you said that the testing was completed in under an hour, do you mean the 'whole' installation was apparently tested in this time ?.

His quote was for his labour rate only, he did not estimate how many hours it would take, I just know how many hours he was on site +travelling, and yes he said he had done the testing, when he was on site for 1 hour, I do not know what is involved/

I take it that he is a registered contractor, and that he issued you with a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate ??
How many circuits are there in this new installation ? He may well have previously done some 'dead' test ???

Sponsored Links
His quote was 12 months old, so maybe he's trying to claw back some of the price increases?

If it was me, I would have issued you with a revised (and increased) estimate.

I appreciate both of your replies but I do not think you have read the post properly,
He quoted me an hourly rate full stop, there was no estimate involved, the hours he spent on site and travelling time are not disputed, apart from his last visit which as I stated, was on his way back from another job

Re the certificate is this normally charged as a seperate item, or as I expected, issued as part of the job to confirm his work is up to standard ??

I think before you go off the deep end, you have to ask yourself some questions: How many estimates did you get? How did his price compare with the others? Did he help you out of a spot? Are you satisfied with the job?How much extra are you talking about?(cable prices alone have gone up 40% in the last 12 months).Has he got a good reputation?He won't last long if he is ripping people off. Don't get bogged down in minor details like when he arrived & left & who did what. Hope this helps.

jj4091 said:
I think before you go off the deep end, you have to ask yourself some questions: How many estimates did you get? How did his price compare with the others? Did he help you out of a spot? Are you satisfied with the job?How much extra are you talking about?(cable prices alone have gone up 40% in the last 12 months).Has he got a good reputation?He won't last long if he is ripping people off. Don't get bogged down in minor details like when he arrived & left & who did what. Hope this helps.

I am sorry but you too have not read my post properly, the fact that cable prices have gone up 40% is not relevant.

I am not contesting materiel charges, or time spent on the job, just the 20% extra hourly rate over what he quoted me, and please remember that the 1st fix was done only weeks after this quote, it was the 2nd fix that was done much later.
How is this different from me paying him 20% less for his labour than was agreed???

Maybe we did 'read' your post properly, we just misunderstood it :LOL: :LOL:

Right, you agreed a 'price' per hour for labour only, and he has increased that figure by 20%, and there are issues with the rates for 'other' members of his workforce .

The way to sort this out is to talk to him face to face about all the issues you have, and come to an agreement and work out a final completion figure.
By the sounds of it, I would say that once this figure is 'sorted' the job will come to a swift conclusion.

I am not being offensive, but going into one way travelling times is not the way to go, and seems a little trivial.

As for the certification fee's that varys from contractor to contractor, and contract to contract, but a factor that will be chargeable, even if indirectly, and even if you were 'clock watching' I'm sure that an electrician could justifiably squeeze half a days labour !.

If he feels you are trying to knock him down in price etc he will (quite rightly in my opinion) probably keep your certs till he gets the money he feels he is due.

OK gloves off, get off your bloody high horse you arrogant ****, are you looking for help & suggestions or not. We know what we are doing!I bet you were a nightmare to work for.

Another one for Matt Allbright's "Rogue Customers" TV show...

Did he quote (ie a fixed price)?

Or did he estimate?

Did he put any of this in writing?

Did you sign an agreement before work started?

securespark said:
Did he quote (ie a fixed price)?

Or did he estimate?

Did he put any of this in writing?

Did you sign an agreement before work started?

I am sorry but once again I will state, please read the original post,
The only quote or statement made was the hourly rate that he stated he would charge me, this is the only real query

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back