No certificates for electrical work.

I agree Gary the 'system' is far from perfect.

But the risks of non-disclosure are pretty significant as the OP implies above. Other than obvious signs such as changes in cable colour, different make accessories, date of manufactured accessories, visible disturbance to the building the worst one of all is that people talk and that is the problem and maybe out of revenge.

Are the ramifications worth it? In the extreme a distress warrant could be issued upon the new owner and that new owner having to have the entire place rewired. And will that new owner just sit back and pay for these costs plus other losses? I think not in these days of suing at the slightest whim the original seller could find himself out of pocket by quite a lot along with possibly being prosecuted.

You have the options and you take your choice.

Sponsored Links
To the OP, if you come to sell your house and the question is asked, you must truthfully answer that you have had notifiable electrical work done, but have no paperwork or Council approval for it.
At best the purchaser won't care given the minor nature of the work done, at worse they might ask you to pay for a PIR to check that your electrical installation is in order. It will all be down to negotiation…
And there is more chance of hell freezing over than you getting prosecuted for non-compliance with the Building Regulations.

And hopefully if it's a seller's market (which it usually is), then when a prospective purchaser has decided he wants the house, and has invested the time and money to get to the point where he finds out about the wiring, he's not going to walk away from the deal.

But as you rightly observe - don't lie.

And there is more chance of hell freezing over than you getting prosecuted for non-compliance with the Building Regulations.
Unless the law has been changed (I know they were talking about it), once 6 months from the commission of the offence has elapsed they can't prosecute anyway. You can see why they would want to change that to 6 months from when the offence is discovered, as even serious breaches of the Building Regs might not come to light for years, but I don't know if they have changed it, or decided to.

And from the "no rhyme or reason to anything dept", I was reading about some poor sod on UHM who'd wired a new build he was doing. He's a fully qualified electrician, but works in commercial/industrial, so isn't registered. He did everything by the book and notified, and ended up with his own EIC which he was perfectly qualified and competent to sign, and the Building Regs completion certificate.

The DNO refused to connect him as the EICs were not signed by a registered electrician. No matter how much he pointed out that he was qualified and competent, no matter how much he pointed out that there was no requirement for an EIC from a registered electrician (or even a BS7671 EIC at all) they simply would not budge, and in the end he had to shell out for a registered guy to come along and certify it.

Sponsored Links
"And there is more chance of hell freezing over than you getting prosecuted for non-compliance with the Building Regulations."

Maybe but so what? Same can be said for speeding, shop lifting, stealing in general and even murder these days as the police are far too busy filing in forms that prevent crime or investigate crime.

BUT get caught then watch you squeal as the law is applied, please don't expect any sympathy.

Not having the appropriate certificates for work done does not also mean that the work is not done correctly.

No matter what is certified or not, ALL surveyors will recommend to prospective purchasers that they get an electrical inspection done.
Always have & always will.

certificates or not.

Not having the appropriate certificates for work done does not also mean that the work is not done correctly.

No matter what is certified or not, ALL surveyors will recommend to prospective purchasers that they get an electrical inspection done.
Always have & always will.

certificates or not.

So they contact a local electrical contractor to carry out a Periodic Inspection Report. It's noted that there is evidence of additions or alterations and an approximate date is added.
Does the contractor note where the additions or alterations have been carried out (living room, bathroom etc)? Probably not, in fact it's highly unlikely.
So, unless it's something along the lines of an extension then I doubt Part P would even be mentioned.

Yeah, what if i decided to re-wire my own house bit by bit and didn't bother paying £1.50 notifying every time i did something?
Any work completed in accordance with BS7671, how can the LABC or whoever say very much?

Dont ask me how many people have asked me to sign off their abortions :eek: :eek:

Yeah, what if i decided to re-wire my own house bit by bit and didn't bother paying £1.50 notifying every time i did something?
Any work completed in accordance with BS7671, how can the LABC or whoever say very much?
I doubt they would.

The only time it's likely to become an issue is when you sell. If you haven't got Building Regs documentation, it might be a minor nuisance, it might cost you a PIR, or if the buyer senses that the pressure for the sale is greater on you than it is on him he might use it to get a discount off the price.

Dont ask me how many people have asked me to sign off their abortions :eek: :eek:
How many?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/uksi_20080671_en_1

EXPLANATORY NOTE said:
... For designated provisions, the time limit is extended from 6 months from the date of a contravention to a maximum of 2 years from that date. The 2 year limit is subject to a provision that the prosecution must be brought within 6 months of the date on which evidence sufficient to justify bringing the prosecution comes to the knowledge of the person commencing the proceedings. By virtue of section 35A(6), the extended time limit does not apply in relation to a contravention of any provision which was committed before 6th April 2008...

Not wide ranging by the looks of things...
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back