Is this feasible - 2 combi's in one home.....

Sponsored Links
The really crucial thing is the dynamic flowrate of the cold water main. Go for a single powerful combi if you like the idea. A 35kW combi with a good water main behind it should drive two suitable combi-compatible showers. The disadvantage to fitting a combi plus an unvented cylinder is that you cannot then fit the boiler with weather compensation, which is the best form of control for a condensing boiler.
How many oil boilers have you come across that will accept weather compensation then?

Several, since you ask. However, I posted my previous reply before we were told it had to be oil fired.

Sponsored Links
Grant GEO360 weather compensator
GEO360-1024x411.jpg

Systems without weather compensation
When air temperatures in the house fall below the setting on the room thermostat, a signal is sent for the boiler to fire and warm the house. Unfortunately a disadvantage of this simple arrangement is that the thermostat only tells the boiler to turn on or off when the house is too cold or too hot, respectively. Some systems are even installed without a room thermostat (boiler interlock), relying solely on individual thermostatic radiator valves.

In either case no consideration is given to maintaining the correct flow and return temperatures that enable a boiler to operate in condensing mode or to any external temperature fluctuations.

The Grant Efficiency Optimiser
The GEO360 (Grant Efficiency Optimiser) is a smart control system comprising of a controller, two pipe sensors together with an internal and external air sensor, coupled to a mixing valve. With the information retrieved through the outdoor air sensor (fitted on a north facing wall) the unit can adjust system water temperature to match a heat output closer to the needs of the home. In fact, the system will adapt before it even feels too cold or too hot. In periods of warm weather the GEO360 will automatically shut the system down until it is needed again. Flow and return temperatures can be pre-set on the control module enabling condensing boilers to operate in condensing mode more often, thereby saving fuel and making the system more environmentally friendly.

The unit monitors weather conditions throughout the year regardless of the season. Without the control, a heating system does not know if it is a cool autumn night or the coldest winter day. Therefore it works as if it was always the coldest day of the year and heats the system water to a maximum temperature.

The diagrams show how the GEO360 adapts a heating system to the changing seasons:

FFS Tony 20-30 year old technoligy there!!
Oil burners are quite uncontrollable & the technoligy of oil burners has not changed since the 50s - just On/Off.

I certainly wouldn't recommend an oil combi, they're rubbish!! There's nothing wrong with oil boilers, dated technoligy as I stated - but Kero is currently cheap.

Perhaps an Accumulator would help with your water pressure/flow problems.

I think we are recommending an oil heat only and an unvented cylinder.

Tony

FFS Tony 20-30 year old technoligy there!!
Oil burners are quite uncontrollable & the technoligy of oil burners has not changed since the 50s - just On/Off.[/QUOTE

It looks more or less the same as a Drayton "Theta valve". We were fitting them 40+ years ago.
Fookin things were always leaking on the spindle seal. Service kits were extortionate price.

Appreciate the help people.

Once the new roof is in place I will investigate if I can fit a coffin tank in the ridge - I've found one that is only 12" tall, maybe I can double these up with access hatches and keep a vented system and a cylinder in an airing cupboard.

Next on the to do list is get the incoming mains pressure/flow measured

Measuring dynamic flow rate should always be the first thing on any list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back