Locksheild valves all wide open - anybody know why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house new Ariston A30 MFFI combi-boiler fitted.

4 rads downstairs - cloak hall lounge x 2

5 rads 1st floor - 2 beds bath ensuite hall

1 rad 2nd floor - bed

Anyone know why the engineer would leave a system with them all wide open. Is this best practice now?

Thanks - from muddled

Sponsored Links
This is new build so the installer does not bother as no one is checking his work and he was paid before anyone moved into the house.

There are still many nupty installer who genuinely believe that you dont need to balance a system with TRVs.

Tony

Balancing is only needed if the system doesn't perform as spec.

If all the rads get hot and they have TRV's where's the problem.

Throttling the return valve down also makes the system noisy so the LS valves are better fully open. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
There are still many nupty installer who genuinely believe that you dont need to balance a system with TRVs.
Numpty. Hmm.

There are still many registered gas fitters who don't do plumbing, even on heating systems, and who don't know that the word "don't" contains an apostrophe.

A well designed and correct pipe sized system should not need balancing
Numpty or no numpty . Can anybody show me how to balance a system using trv`s,after 25yrs of installing maybe this is where i`m going wrong

Roll it and smoke it :eek: :eek:

A well designed and correct pipe sized system should not need balancing
Oh this should be good.

So, how would you go about sizing the pipework for a system with the nearest radiator having 4 metres of pipework to/from the pump, and the furthest one having about 30 metres of pipework to/from the pump, given the objective of all the radiators and rooms heating up at the same rate, as far as is possible?

The original poster asked a very reasonable question. We then end up with very abusive posts when a reply is provided. Whether right or wrong surely we should not treat those who present an opinion in this way and surely everybody else who might wish to know the answer does not want this kind of behaviour?

is to see people mislead novices by posting b*llocks

Sorry if you`ve been misled

Can anybody show me how to balance a system using trv`s,

You open all the TRVs to full and balance it just as you would balance a system without TRVs.

Balancing sets the temperature differential across the rads ensuring a condensing boiler is working near maximum efficiency and well as enabling the rads to all heat up at roughly the same rate.

Tony

Thanks Agile - I have gone against contradicting advice from Screwfix forum posters saying to leave alone unless rads dont get hot.

However - the upstair rads got hotter quicker which is exactly the opposite what I would like. So have turned 1st and 2nd floor lockshields down. Much better now - perfectly balanced.

My thoughts were that gravity and longer pipe runs were delaying the time taken for the lounge to heat up

wall hung combi on kitchen wall

ground floor rads 1 metre lower

upper floor rads 4 metre higher

My conclusion is that even if all rads eventually "get hot" adjusting the lockshields has brought benefits to my system.

Therefore thanks Agile

Hi ajstone - its me omidknight popping up to comment here and there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back