is this going to give decent and effective fitness gains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not much any of a runner at all, especially since breaking my ankle a year ago (while running!)
Much prefer openwater swimming, but run/walk is cash- and faff-free!

A couple of times a week, I do a 7 mile circuit over the Chase: walk 2 miles, run 1 mile, walk 3 miles, run last mile.

Walking is at 13:30min/mile pace; running at 7min/mile.

Thinking instead of mixing it up, with 400m run-400m walk-400m run- and repeat until the end (of the loop, or of me!)
Won't (can't) blast the run bits.

Would this give any tangible benefits to fitness (and even running speed)?
Or, would I be better doing something else?
(Want to stick with the loop, as it gives me time to clear my thoughts twice a week).

Thanks in anticipation (y)

Sponsored Links
With a pace of of 7min/m you're likely fitter than about 98% of the forum so I'd suggest asking some people with some decent knowledge on the subject. If I was the kind of person to relish competitive exercise in the company of others and could justify the cost I'd try CrossFit. I used to do like a hardcore boxercise session until covid hit, that was really good although quite aggressive as there were some who were a bit too enthusiastic for my liking.

Last edited:
I nominate myself as the forums un fittest member. 100 yards and I'll be wearing down

Sponsored Links
Well, did my first effort yesterday.

400m walk, 400m run, rinse and repeat until reaching 8k, and couldn't drag myself to run the next 400, so I walked 800 for that bit.
Running times went up to 2:00+ per 400m towards end.

Calves and ankles today are in bits :confused:

Going to be a mission today then, dragging my sorry arris around a hilly golf course with second - born ....

Plan is to do the run walk each Sunday, with the previous regime once in the week too.
How this is going to help my summer 4 mile openwater swim I've signed up for though......... :unsure:

Back