Is this just old wallpaper, or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning to repaint a room in a flat I bought 2 years ago, which appears to have been built in the 60s or 70s. The room appears to have wallpaper, or something similar, that has been painted over, and is easy to pull off, but is quite stiff to the touch.

I wanted to check that this is indeed just old, painted-over wallpaper, and not anything more important. My knowledge of plastering/walls in general is low so I’m not sure if this is something related to the structure of the wall or not. There appears to be a green layer somewhere in the paint/wallpaper layers… is that anything other than paint?

Am I safe to just rip it all off and paint on what is underneath – the beige-ish surface?

Photos are here https://imgur.com/a/YxpI7ej, including the wall and some of the bits I pulled off. You can see on one of the photos that there are lines that run down the wall, repeated every two feet or so across, just how wallpaper would look.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that’s just some good old fashioned embossed wallpaper. Rip it off, including the beigeish paper underneath and paint the wall after rubbing it down. The paper is just one layer but it’s coming off in two layers because the painted surface is coming away from the rest of the paper first.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected and must get my eyes tested. I could have sworn I saw a pattern there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back