Is this legal for me to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been asked by someone to go and replace an electric shower.

I am a plumber by trade, so going into someones house, isolating and disconnecting their electric shower and fitting a new one with the same cable that was originally there, is that ok?

Just have no clue on the laws with this, and if I can, I can give a cheaper price to the customer, thanks

John.

Sponsored Links
Legally, swapping like for like is legal.

But you need to check that the supply cable is correctly rated for the new shower. You also need to be sure your insurance covers you for this work.

I have no insurance as I work for a company and just do foreigners on the side, but I do understand that the shower must be fed by 10mm

Replacing the shower is permitted and does not require notification to building controls.
But if you need to install any new cabling, then it becomes notifiable.
Unless the cable you are replacing is damaged ;)
In some cases the shower cable maybe undersized for the new showers output requirements, if so the new cable will then make the work notifiable.

Sponsored Links
I have no insurance as I work for a company and just do foreigners on the side, but I do understand that the shower must be fed by 10mm

It depends on the rating of the shower, and the size of the fuse/MCB in the consumer unit.

One large point. Is there an RCD providing safety protection for the shower?
The maker's instructions will dictate that one must be fitted, even if there is not one already in place for the old shower.

Doing that, and testing it, may well be outside your skill set.

So why do you not get insured for the foreigners then?
and 10mm cable is not always required!
You need to take output of shower, design current, and fuse rating in to consideration, then any derating factors of cables installation method.

So I guess if the shower is fitted with 10mm, and there is a separate RCD for the shower, it's good to go?

If it is 6mm installed, what do I check to see if the shower needs more? I'm sure it will say in the manufacturers instructions?

Cheers

Yes check the MI, but also cable installation methods must be considered, if the cable runs through insulation or trunking/conduit, this must be factored in.
It's not always that straight forward!

So why do you not get insured for the foreigners then?
and 10mm cable is not always required!
You need to take output of shower, design current, and fuse rating in to consideration, then any derating factors of cables installation method.

At the moment I don't do enough but planing to swap my car for a van and try and make a name for myself on the side so may be something I will definitely consider in the future

I understand that if it runs through insulation it must be upgraded to 1 higher than stated by the MI's?

Even though seemingly straightforward and a non-notifiable replacement - no such thing as 'like for like' - I would not like the responsibility of fitting an electric shower for someone else without knowing that I had tested the circuit and done all I could to ensure it was safe, hence complying with part P, especially without insurance.

So, is it worth it?

Even though seemingly straightforward and a non-notifiable replacement - no such thing as 'like for like' - I would not like the responsibility of fitting an electric shower for someone else without knowing that I had tested the circuit and done all I could to ensure it was safe, hence complying with part P, especially without insurance.

So, is it worth it?

Well, that's my purpose for asking the question?

Even with plumbing, there is what the colleges and courses would teach, and what the day to day plumber would do, so just wondering, if I walk into the property (ask customer if there have been any electrical faults with shower or within the home) , isolate the electrics, remove the shower from the wall, see that there is a 6 or 10mm cable in the wall, establish that the cable is correct per MIs, fit the new shower and bob's your uncle, am I breaking any laws?

I walk into the property (ask customer if there have been any electrical faults with shower or within the home) , isolate the electrics, remove the shower from the wall, see that there is a 6 or 10mm cable in the wall, establish that the cable is correct per MIs, fit the new shower and bob's your uncle, am I breaking any laws?

As far as notification no, but as EFLI has so finely stated, it would be very irresponsible of you not to prove the circuit is fit for continued service.
Very much like when you fit a gas appliance!

I understand that if it runs through insulation it must be upgraded to 1 higher than stated by the MI's?

No, it may need to be upsized to the size required as shown by the adiabatic equation. 1 size higher might not be enough.

You will need to know Ze for the circuit which you obtain by calculation or measurement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back