Is this legal for me to do?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps worth considering that, should a problem arise in the future then you could be liable. The law relating to Building Regs only applies to those described situations and does not allow you to avoid any duty of care (which applies to DIY work as well as professional). Should anybody be injured or even property damaged by another then you might find it hard to prove that you were not at fault. For example - you do a perfect job and then some idiot householder drives a nail through your cable. The resulting fire investigation would show an electrical point source. If you couldn't show that all the tests had been properly carried out to ensure integrity of the cable, fixings, connections etc then, even if you avoid prison, your life could be ruined.
This is not to go against the electrical advice already given, but, I'd suggest that if you are moving towards your own business then it may be a good move to team up with a qualified local electrician. Insurance is essential and not expensive, but it may be limited to exclude certain activities such as electrical work. A quick look through the archives will produce many instances of expensive actions being taken against people doing "foreigners" who didn't have insurance. Very best of luck with your ambitions, but, please protect yourself.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, what people are telling you is correct.

The shower may have been "to standards" when installed, but the standards do change over time. When you fit the new shower, YOU and you alone are responsible for ensuring that the shower as installed now meets current standards. As someone said, it's no different to you swapping out a gas fire and failing to ensure that the new installation meets current gas safety standards.
Simple things like knowing what you need to do for an RCD not to be mandatory can trip you up.

Also as stated, sizing the cable isn't simple. There are "rules of thumb" which means most electricians can pick a cable size for most common installations without needing to look things up. Cable doesn't have A current rating, it has a selection of current ratings - which one applies depends on the installation conditions (clipped exposed on a wall gives a higher rating then embedded in insulation), and protection measures (it's higher with an MCB than with a fuse as the fuse provides "coarser" protection).

Even if the new shower is the same rating as the old one, you could still fall foul of this. The original installation could have been wrong, the loft could have been insulated since it was installed, someone may have replaced with a larger one without checking ...
But you are responsible for making sure that the installation is correct when you leave it.

So while there is nothing in the building regs to stop you doing it, you would be well advised to seek help. Either work with someone who can take care of the electrical side, or perhaps get yourself on a course and learn the theory needed.
I don't know the details - I guess someone will chirp up - but there are courses specifically for other trades to do "defined scope" qualifications (such as to allow a plumber to install a fused spur for a new boiler). Such schemes would allow you to self notify where work is notifiable - but I don't know if they would go as far as to deal with such as a shower circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back