Is this length of vent ducting feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a grade II listed building and have been granted permission to covert a small bedromm in the front of the house to a shower room. In applying for the listing I neglected to specify an extractor outlet. I would hate to go through the application process again to get permission to install a grating on the front of the house. It would probably not be granted. So the idea is as follows:

1. Fit an inline centrifugal fan couped to a ceiling vent above the shower.
2. Take the exhaust through about 10m of ducting to a Y piece to couple with the bathroom extractor exhaust.

Points to consider.

1. Ducting resistance. Would it be crazy to expect a useful flow through this distance? Should I fit a reducer to, say increase the X sectional area to twice that of the 120mm outlet?
2. Condensation. I would need to duct vertically for about 1.5m above the fan outlet and then elbow to run on what I would hope would be a gradual fall to the Y piece Am I likely to avoid the condensation problem by wrapping and tapping a good thickness of roofing insulation around the duct for its whole length?

I have no experience of fitting extractors so I will be grateful for any advice.

T

Sponsored Links
An industrial/ AC inline fan would be fine, get one with speed control. Look at hydroponics shops as they are used alot by growers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back