Is this likely to be subsidence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying this bunglaow, it was built in the 1950s and had a flat roof extension built in the 80s, you can see where they attach where theres a vertical crack. I'm not sure whether I should progress with an offer as I think it shows clear signs of subsidence, however, I have no experience to really make an informed decision. I hope I'm wrong and it's just poor render/weather damage or even where it's settled and then they've applied the wrong filler, it's a probate property so I can't ask. In your opinion does this look to be likely? Here's a video of the extent of the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LUXb5LocLTtEbsDR9
20230706_193421.jpg
20230706_193433.jpg
20230706_193436.jpg
20230706_193628.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's a crack where the extension joins the house it's probably just settlement, got some pictures from further away?

I didn't take any other photos, unfortunately the sun was right behind me so I couldn't see what the photos looked like at the time, I will be going back today to have a look so I can update the post. Heres a photo from the listing:

1688732703893.png

As above, probably due to settlement between the two.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about it. Photo 2 shows it's on the joint of original and extension.

Chip the render off a foot or two either side, put a movement joint bead across the joint then re-render either side of it. Then the joint will move instead of cracking the render.

I wouldn't worry about it. Photo 2 shows it's on the joint of original and extension.

Chip the render off a foot or two either side, put a movement joint bead across the joint then re-render either side of it. Then the joint will move instead of cracking the render.
Would that type of movement cause horizontal cracks on the main building like in the first photo?

You very much can ask, it'll be an odd set of relatives that never visited the (now deceased) owner.
If that render is all the same age then i'd agree with whoever mentioned differential movement/settlement of the extension.
Full structural survey might reassure you. Also have a look round the neighbourhood , see if there are any more similar age to that one, knock on some doors and have a chat.

Looks like typical thermal/seasonal cracking to me. Scourge of brittle sand/cement renders.

The only real answer is to chisel some render off and look at the brick underneath. They're thin cracks, and it doesn't look like anything's moved inwards or outwards, i.e. there's no step across them.

Ideally just don't buy a rendered or painted house. If it's brick underneath you've got to wonder why it was done. Sometimes there's an innocent explanation, our last house had windows and doors moved around so it looked messy.

Perhaps look around inside in greater detail, especially at the top corners of door and window frames. This will tell you if the building's moving or it's just brittle old render that's not well attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back