Is this mold on this rough sawn timber? Is it safe to use internally?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's rough sawn, which is also pretty wet from lying in the builders yard.

IMG_20221021_173708.jpg

Sponsored Links
Blue mould is uncommon on whitewood. But it might be where treatment has crystallised on the surface. I'd be more concerned about how knotty itbis and how big those knots are

It's wood (20 lengths) that've been purchased to frame off some stuff that will then be plasterboarded over. I'm concerned that the areas getting sheeted off (chimney breast X 2 and a bathroom) are already prone to moisture/penetrating damp. I'm feeling really uneasy about using this. My builder did try to buy planed smooth 2x2, but they were out of stock, and he's instead opted for this. It's clearly been lying out in the rain and is soaked. It's meant to be getting used tomorrow.

I hadn't even noticed the knots.

the mould is no big deal, the timber will dry out once fitted inside

I do hate it when merchants store it outside in the rain -builders merchants are often the culprits, timber merchants tend to have sheds, open but out of rain.

it is shockingly shoite timber though

Sponsored Links
the mould is no big deal, the timber will dry out once fitted inside
I'm worried it won't dry out though. Not quick enough considering it'll be sheeted same day - in an area already prone to dampness.

It will dry out underneath the plasterboard, might stop it warping out of shape if put up dampish. leave that out on a sunny day and it could twist to buggery.

out of curiosity, what did you pay for that rubbish ? it looks like home grown stuff that has been let by evryone else.

out of curiosity, what did you pay for that rubbish ? it looks like home grown stuff that has been let by evryone else.

96 metres (20 lengths) coming in at £100.80.

Mould can be injurious to someones health but like everything it all depends on the type of mould and resistance of the individual (s), google mould and make your own informed decision, personally I've demolished a asbestos garage with a lump hammer at 33 and at 70 still here to tell the tale but next year who knows!!

It will dry out underneath the plasterboard, might stop it warping out of shape if put up dampish. leave that out on a sunny day and it could twist to buggery.
I find that if you get it up sharpish and board it quickly it will dry out sufficiently without warping, however leave it hanging lying around outside to dry out, or put the frames up and leave them a week or two to dry out and all those knots will guarantee it will warp

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back