Timber for car port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a 6x3m freestanding car (well caravan) port - scaffold tube legs, polycarbonate roof and timber rafters. I would like to paint the rafters for a nice clean look so would prefer to use planed timber rather than sawn so wonder if this will be a problem if it's not treated? It will be protected by overhangs all the way round so shouldn't get directly wet.

Sponsored Links
Sawn timber can be painted.

I know, but it looks rough compared to planed. I presume if untreated timber is painted with exterior paint it will have sufficient protection from the elements?

I really wanted aluminium or uPVC glazing bars rather than rafters but the cost is horrendous.

Sponsored Links
Timber will need preservative before painting.

Thanks, that's what I'm not sure of, I don't do much with exterior wood other than sloshing some 30 year old creasote on any cut ends.

Can you recommend something?

Most of the treated timber is regularised anyway which is as near as damn it to PAR.

If you just prime and paint it it will be fine - as will untreated. But you'll need to repaint it regularly - especially the exposed parts.

Thanks, I didn't know they did treated regularised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back