Is This Normal For Taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just had two new taps installed on my kitchen sink, the plumber said they were of the make "Deva". I noticed something odd about them though - when you leave them running they will gradually reduce the flow rate until they eventually practically stop. This happens only if the tap is on at a not too high rate - sometimes when you are preparing food you want the tap running continuously at a low rate.

My question is - is this the normal way for a tap to function these days? For example to save on water usage ie reduce water wastage.

Previously I have never noticed this happening with any tap. Does anybody have the same thing happening with their taps?

Or could there be something wrong with these taps?

These are two separate hot and cold taps and have cross-headed handles, and this happens with both of them. The water is not closed off completely, but just down to a very small dribble.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
No, its not normal.

When it happens, do the taps partially close on their own, so that you have to re-open them to restore the flow? Or does the flow reduce with no change to the position of the tap handles?

If the former, then it may be possible to tighten the gland nuts (under the shrouds) to increase friction as it may be that the water flow is shutting off the tap.

If the latter its likely to be a flow problem elsewhere in the system, possibly and airlock.

The flow reduces without any change in position of the tap handles. There was no similar problem with the old taps, which could flow in a very thin steady stream indefinitely (they were changed as the handles got too stiff to close easily).

I just wondered if this is how taps worked these days, ie shutting off automatically if left running, because of all the regulations regarding saving energy and water use etc - or whether my new taps are actually faulty - though I guess as BOTH of them have this problem then they are maybe like this by design - seems strange to me however - so I am just wondering if other people find their taps work like this also.

Also is it likely there could be an airlock or some other problem in the piping, as it is occuring on both the hot and cold taps - the cold is fed directly from the rising mains, and the hot from the combi boiler. So it would be unlikely surely it would happen on both of these?

Are the taps 1/4-turn type with a ceramic cartridge, or multi-turn type with rubber washers? If the latter, perhaps when the tap is opened partially then the washer de-compresses slightly and reduces the flow gap. Wrong Shore rating rubber used for washers?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure the answer to your question - however the full turn of the tap is 1 and 3/4 turns - after 1/4 turn it is only a small dribble, after that it comes on quite suddenly, and at 3/8 of a turn it is a fairly fast flow, at 1/2 turn it is as fast as you'd ever likely need it, at 1 full turn even faster still, all the way up to 1 3/4 turns when it is at full force. Everything happens between 1/4 turn and 3/8 turn that I will ever need, and it is necessary to fine tune it to get it to stay on at a steady flow rate - its quite hard to judge, and so quite annoying, for example when you're scraping or peeling vegetables and rinsing them under the tap.
I have attached two photos of the tap below.
I am just wondering - if I activate the tap more, ie put it on full blast for a good while regularly, and tighten it up quite hard then would it help 'break it in'. Or do I need to call my plumber back again?

Attachments

• tap1-sm.jpg
    tap1-sm.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 99
  • tap2-sm.jpg
    tap2-sm.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 97
I don't know about breaking it in, the 11 year old hot tap on my bathroom wash basin does the same, I always assumed the water was heating the washer and making it expand. The feature is surprisingly annoying.

Can you recommend any taps you think are good as replacement ?

This problem happens on both the hot and cold taps.

Assuming they are rubber washer sealing taps,your plumber could exchange the washer insert to a ceramic disc insert 1/4 turn.

ceramic disc cartridge taps (quality ones) will operate on a low flow rate continuously.

your generic tap's are made with either rubber washer or cd cartridges,easy job for your plumber.

Your new taps are working as best as possible they are designed to be fully on or fully off with water flow regulators installed if the flow is to much for your sink.

Your new taps are working as best as possible they are designed to be fully on or fully off with water flow regulators installed if the flow is to much for your sink.

So this is by design then. This doesn't seem though to be a very good design - either fully on or fully off - since when should a tap work like that - I have never come across this in my life. For one thing it is very wasteful of water, and its incredible such a design could even be allowed.

They don't think like that! They just go to the sheds and pick the cheapest shiny new tap!

My brother bought a place recently that had taps like this in the utility room. They did the same as yours because they are cheap shoite. Bought a pair of Bristan pillars. No more haunted taps turning themselves off.

By cheap taps; buy them twice. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back