Is this OK? Flat roof balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some building work and part of it is to extend a small balcony. The old balcony floor was taken down and a new larger one constructed. The architect spec'd either bitumen or felt as a covering with promenade tiles on top.

This is what I came home to - a single layer of capsheet with many joints. I was expecting a couple of layers of underlay which the tiles would be fixed to. Before I raise any concerns with the builder I'd like to get some advice...

Is a single layer of felt enough in this application?

Are this many joints OK?

Is capsheet a suitable surface for fixing promenade tiles to?

Is the "flashing" suitable in this case?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
That roof is a complete pile of ****e, you don't run the flat up as a flashing. It should be 2 heavy underlay , with mineral details and promenades bonded in hot bitumen.

Thank you. I understand everything apart from "Mineral Details" - do you mean what I would call flashing?

Can I ask the reason why it isn't good to run the flat felt as flashing?

What Xeon means is, 2 layers of felt over deck area, green mineral trims/upstands and detail work.
You should have lead flashings, not the green mineral tucked into the joints.

The guy has played to much heat on some areas.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask the reason why it isn't good to run the flat felt as flashing?

Because as the felt expands and contracts it will pull itself out of shape. Whoever did that roof wasn't a roofer.

Thank you all - the mineral cap sheet is coming up today and being replaced with 2 layers of sanded felt with seperate mineral upstands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back