Is this ok for cutting blinds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my internal walls insulated and now my blinds are all too big. They're quite nice so figured I'd just cut them to fit. They're metal top and wooden slats.

Is this an ok tool to use?

Sponsored Links
What sort of blinds

I doubt Venetian can be cut down

roller blinds can

Sponsored Links
Plenty of venetian blinds are designed so they can be cut down, its not so uncommon but it might have to be have to be taken apart a little first. A chop saw would be ideal for the wooden slats but not worth buying one. A normal saw would do just as well. A hacksaw for the metal body. You can get chop saw blades that cut metal but complete overkill for a blind.

I cut a metal venetian blind down years ago.
I had 6 to do but after the first one I binned the rest and bought new ones.
You have to strip down the workings and cut the hexagonal bar to size. Cut it a fraction too short and the blind is ruined so will need replacing.
The metal strips were easy with a pair of carpet scissors, but very tedious as you have to cut both ends so the cord slots line up correctly.
My advice is to bin the blinds and buy new ones.
Unless you want an excuse to buy a chop saw. :LOL:

I've cut a few wooden ones down with the chop saw, a decent blade is needed, I do them in stacks and a piece of scrap wood under the bottom lat helps prevent splintering. For the aluminium ones, I've only ever had IKEA and they sell a little trimming tool.

For wood blinds I tape 5-6 slats together and cut with a jap pullsaw .
For metal you can get blind scissors which trim them neatly and put a curve on the corners .
For plastic I use metal shears or heavy duty kitchen scissors .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back