Is this old exterior UPVC door fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, a few years back a bought a house from somebody that apparently botched everything. I've finally made it around to looking at the conservatory door, which is.. interesting.

I don't really see any adjustment on the hinges, but there's a visible gap to the outside if you look at the right angle, at the top right (opposite side of the hinges). The middle hinge is packed with two washers, and the bottom hinge is packed with four. I'm a little confused at how the door has dropped so much in the first place that even with all of those washers there's still a gap.. I mean, how bad was it before they were added?!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas if this is salvageable to a point where the door will seal properly aside from just dumping foam seals on top? Doors really aren't my thing!

Sponsored Links
For it to be that far out of alignment, something is grossly out of square - either the door itself or possibly the frame was installed incorrectly.

Those hinges do have some adjustment, but only for minor movement. None of those washers should be there, they are just a very poor attempt to cover up some other problems.

Does the door catch on the bottom edge when opening/closing?
With the door open, does lifting it from the bottom outer corner (on the side where the handle is) cause any movement in the door?
Does the door have glass in it, or plastic panels?

They may have installed glass without packers ( or they slipped) causing door to sag and then tried to correct with washers .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions:

• Does the door catch on the bottom edge when opening/closing? - No
  • With the door open, does lifting it from the bottom outer corner (on the side where the handle is) cause any movement in the door? - Vertically there's perhaps half a mil movement at the hinge (the center part of the hinge connected to the door moves up until it hits the top of the part connected to the frame, then stops). Forwards / backwards, those washers enable a whole lot of movement, best shown in a video:

• Does the door have glass in it, or plastic panels? / They may have installed glass without packers ( or they slipped) causing door to sag and then tried to correct with washers - Glass top, plastic bottom (not sure if the bottom was always plastic).

I tried to take out the glass today and gave it my best shot to toe-and-heel it, but it didn't really have much effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back