Is this power lead and adaptor suitable for uk use - from china

There is a discrepancy between 7671 and the codes observed by manufacturers and the ESC, which suggests 0.75 conductors of an appliance lead can be protected by a 13A fuse (up to 700W 3A, over 700W, 13A).

I have long battled with this with my bosses, but I argued I worked to 7671, not the other code.
It's not a discrepancy.

Presumably the appliance cannot overload the cable and 0.75 is adequate for the fault current.

Sponsored Links
[/QUOTE]
Well a Schuko plug is earthed anyway with its proper socket so what is the difference? Why should earthing a double insulated appliance be unsafe?[/QUOTE]

So its safe then, thanks for the info. Just trying to stay safe myself:).

Yes, schuko plugs are safe - when used as intended.

However, their are several issues with using them in Britain.

You need a 13A fuse (there are no 16A ones) to use it on a 32A circuit.
The cable may not cope with the higher fault current on the 32A circuit.
If your fused adaptor allows the plug to be inserted upside down then it is not suitable as this will, in the event of a fault, only disconnect the neutral leaving the appliance live.

It's all academic, though, because it is so easy to cut off the schuko and fit a British plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back