Is this quote reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace an existing small radiator with a larger, single convector radiator (600 x 1200), and replace and move another by about 8ft with a single convector (600 x 1400) onto a different wall. I've asked for thermostatic valves. There's a bit of piping, and some inhibitor required.

I've had two quotes, both at about £450 + VAT (£520 in all). Both have said that it's no more than a day's work, but I could get everything from B&Q for £150 incl VAT which means they're asking £300 per day. reasonable, or rip off? I live in Basingstoke, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
I charge £300 + VAT per day. Not a rip off, just the going rate.

We have to allow for the warranty we give on all parts supplied as well.

I live in Basingstoke, if that makes any difference.

Yep, it makes a difference, `cos you`re all minted, up here in t`North West the job would cost you about 150 quid if you supplied gear but that is because we are starving and eat our own kids, usually. You can by a house here for the price of your conservatory, not that I`m bitter or anything.

Sponsored Links
That's right, I'll have to take a break from lighting my cigars with £20 notes so that I can count out the cash for the plumber. Bloody inconvenient.

That's right, I'll have to take a break from lighting my cigars with £20 notes so that I can count out the cash for the plumber. b****y inconvenient.

If you were any use, you could do it yourself. I built my own house. wired and plumbed it in, you probably couldn`t hang a picture. ;) Then again I never had Mummy or Daddy to do it for me. that`s why you pay for it through the nose mate. :D :D :D Good ère innit. ;)

I charge £300 + VAT per day. Not a rip off, just the going rate.

We have to allow for the warranty we give on all parts supplied as well.

Christ!! £6900 + VAT a month!! £82800 a year!!! Thats some plumbing money!

Lets be honest, were plumbers and not Doctors here!!!!!

Running costs?

Just because you charge it doesn't mean you earn it...

We're £400+VAT by the way.

This gets worse!!! £9200 + Vat a month.£110,400 a year!Im self employed and have running costs but jesus my cost dont invole a new Van every 2 months!!

Talk me through what costs you have over myself to warrent £110,000 a year per man salary?!

Way Way over the top, particually in this economic climate.

Well I am not going into specifics, but you don't work all day everyday for that money. So it is not realistic or fair to bodge figures together like that. Take today for example - largely surveys, and a misdelivery. Effectively didn't earn anything.

But there is:
Mobile phones £300
Fuel £500
Premises £300

Postage - anything between £20 and £200 depending on the number of letters and service reminders

Parking £300+

Labourer - shared between engineers £1200
Website
Pension
Insurance
Van Insurance
Allowances for Corporation tax
Accountancy fees
Tool purchase/calibration sundry materials.

Christ my lunch costs a tenner.

If you run a busy legitimate business you should know all this.

Cor blimey dont we go on

you charge what you charge, if you get three quotes of similar costs then thats the going rate aint it

:)

I want to replace an existing small radiator with a larger, single convector radiator (600 x 1200), and replace and move another by about 8ft with a single convector (600 x 1400) onto a different wall. I've asked for thermostatic valves. There's a bit of piping, and some inhibitor required.

I've had two quotes, both at about £450 + VAT (£520 in all). Both have said that it's no more than a day's work, but I could get everything from B&Q for £150 incl VAT which means they're asking £300 per day. reasonable, or rip off? I live in Basingstoke, if that makes any difference.

But the OP is absolutely spot on. Don't forget that we are trying to answer the questions that we are asked.

I want to replace an existing small radiator with a larger, single convector radiator (600 x 1200)

The fact that this will take a full drain down, cut back of pipework, new fittings and pipe have no consequence whatsoever.

and replace and move another by about 8ft with a single convector (600 x 1400) onto a different wall.

It's only 8ft of copper!! oh hang on thats 16ft what with the flow and return!! plus fittings but that is again consequencial. Don't really need any fittings either. I suppose you want flux and solder on some of the joints as well? And clean them after?? You'll want brasso next!!

I've asked for thermostatic valves. There's a bit of piping, and some inhibitor required.

So what TRV's are you buying from said Bugger off Quick? What are you classing as a "bit" of pipework? (not piping! thats done on cakes!!) and what inhibitor are you buying?

I will be more than happy to come to your property and carry out the works for a day rate of £100...........................

providing that you supply all materials and they are present and correct when on site. If there should be a problem then you will drive to the merchants and sort the aggro out and when i have finished the job i guarantee the job untill the door shuts behind me and you deal with everything that happens afterwards.

The first question to ask yourself is not what the day rate is but what a decent plumber/heating engineer is worth to you?

I hope to god the bloke thats meant to be doing this for you isn't reading these?? By the way, whats your address?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back